What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi - new member w/??? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJDavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i try to open Safari on my iPad4, I get a google message saying server can't connect and then a CenturyLink screenActiontec C1000A Modem Configuration at top saying "connected" on the left side with flashing lights saying Access Denied, Access Restricted, Access to the Internet has been restricted by your network administrator, contact your network administrator for additional support.

CenturyLink has no idea where it came from and doesn't know anything about iPads. Does anyone know what the solution to this problem is? Thank you!
PJ

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When i try to open Safari on my iPad4, I get a google message saying server can't connect and then a CenturyLink screenActiontec C1000A Modem Configuration at top saying "connected" on the left side with flashing lights saying Access Denied, Access Restricted, Access to the Internet has been restricted by your network administrator, contact your network administrator for additional support.

CenturyLink has no idea where it came from and doesn't know anything about iPads. Does anyone know what the solution to this problem is? Thank you!
PJ

Hi PJ!

Go to Settings - General - Restrictions and take a look if it's enabled, especially Safari.

Restrictions can also be enabled or enforced using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). You can check for installed profiles in Settings - General - Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile.

OP
PJDavi

PJDavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't see 'profiles' in my General Settings. Restrictions are not enabled but when I do enable them, I still don't see any 'profiles'.

After my carrier couldn't determine why I'm getting that restricted message from them, they suggested I call Apple Support. They think I've been hacked on my iPad. Other people's iPads can connect to my wifi but not me.

Hi PJ!

Go to Settings - General - Restrictions and take a look if it's enabled, especially Safari.

Restrictions can also be enabled or enforced using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). You can check for installed profiles in Settings - General - Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't see 'profiles' in my General Settings. Restrictions are not enabled but when I do enable them, I still don't see any 'profiles'.

After my carrier couldn't determine why I'm getting that restricted message from them, they suggested I call Apple Support. They think I've been hacked on my iPad. Other people's iPads can connect to my wifi but not me.

In this case it would be the best solution to call Apple support, as you've been told before.

OP
PJDavi

PJDavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'll report back on what they tell me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like you are automatically connecting to a CenturyLink wifi hotspot that you do not have authorization for. It is automatically routing to it's default page for authentication whenever you access Safari.

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and see what your are connected to. If it is the unwanted CenturyLink site, then tap the blue arrow to the left of the network and choose Forget Network. This will keep it from automatically connecting again later.

Now choose the wi-fi network you normally use.

Below the list of available wi-fi networks you'll see Ask to Join a Network. If you have this on the iPad will ask you if you want to join a network whenever it does not have a connection but sees one available. If you say yes, it will attempt to join the network. From then on, whenever you are near that network it will automatically join it.

I suspect you said yes, once a while back, and ever since the iPad has automatically joined that network whenever it is in range. Joining a network is not the same as actually having internet access through it, thus the default site that you can't get past (because you're not authorized on the network).

Unless CenturyLink is your ISP, and you are connected to the right Wi-Fi network. In which case I have no idea. :eek:

Last edited:
OP
PJDavi

PJDavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like you are automatically connecting to a CenturyLink wifi hotspot that you do not have authorization for. It is automatically routing to it's default page for authentication whenever you access Safari.

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and see what your are connected to. If it is the unwanted CenturyLink site, then tap the blue arrow to the left of the network and choose Forget Network. This will keep it from automatically connecting again later.

Now choose the wi-fi network you normally use.

Below the list of available wi-fi networks you'll see Ask to Join a Network. If you have this on the iPad will ask you if you want to join a network whenever it does not have a connection but sees one available. If you say yes, it will attempt to join the network. From then on, whenever you are near that network it will automatically join it.

I suspect you said yes, once a while back, and ever since the iPad has automatically joined that network whenever it is in range. Joining a network is not the same as actually having internet access through it, thus the default site that you can't get past (because you're not authorized on the network).

Unless CenturyLink is your ISP, and you are connected to the right Wi-Fi network. In which case I have no idea. :eek:

Unfortunately Centurylink IS my ISP and I am connected to the right Wi-Fi network! Therefore, I think I will have to find a new ISP. I'm bundled through Dishnet and each is blaming the other. :-(

OP
PJDavi

PJDavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[QUOTE="twerppoet;968467"Unless CenturyLink is your ISP, and you are connected to the right Wi-Fi network. In which case I have no idea. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Oops!

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, I hope this gets resolved for you and soon!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial for our App
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately Centurylink IS my ISP and I am connected to the right Wi-Fi network! Therefore, I think I will have to find a new ISP. I'm bundled through Dishnet and each is blaming the other. :-(

If you have not done so, you should still try Forgetting and re-adding the network.

Sorry I could not help more. Good luck.

OP
PJDavi

PJDavi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have not done so, you should still try Forgetting and re-adding the network.

Sorry I could not help more. Good luck.

My iPad is elsewhere at the moment but I will "forget and re-add" tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Will let you know if that does it.

Vaneyssen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New member: I had a flashing screen on my Apple iPad after some web browsing saying contact support giving a telephone number which seems to be dodgy and did as follows:

In settings
Put iPad offline (disconnect from web)
In settings go to Safari
Go to bottom of screen "Clear History and Website data"
Click on "Advanced"
On new screen find Website data and "Remove all website data"

I also did the "Start and Home button reset, getting the Apple logo but it did not seem to do anything for my iPad.
Hope this works for you?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Supposedly not. The member with that problem hasn't been back since more than 3 years, and this is a thread from 2013, so the issue should have been resolved in the meantime.

It might help another member in the same situation, though. Thank you, and welcome to iPad Forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts