Hi - new member w/??? Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by PJDavi, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJDavi

PJDavi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    When i try to open Safari on my iPad4, I get a google message saying server can't connect and then a CenturyLink screenActiontec C1000A Modem Configuration at top saying "connected" on the left side with flashing lights saying Access Denied, Access Restricted, Access to the Internet has been restricted by your network administrator, contact your network administrator for additional support.

CenturyLink has no idea where it came from and doesn't know anything about iPads. Does anyone know what the solution to this problem is? Thank you!
    PJ

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi PJ!

Go to Settings - General - Restrictions and take a look if it's enabled, especially Safari.

Restrictions can also be enabled or enforced using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). You can check for installed profiles in Settings - General - Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile.

3. PJDavi

PJDavi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. I don't see 'profiles' in my General Settings. Restrictions are not enabled but when I do enable them, I still don't see any 'profiles'.

After my carrier couldn't determine why I'm getting that restricted message from them, they suggested I call Apple Support. They think I've been hacked on my iPad. Other people's iPads can connect to my wifi but not me.

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In this case it would be the best solution to call Apple support, as you've been told before.

5. PJDavi

PJDavi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help. I'll report back on what they tell me.

6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Please do so. Perhaps it will help other members with a similar problem.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you are automatically connecting to a CenturyLink wifi hotspot that you do not have authorization for. It is automatically routing to it's default page for authentication whenever you access Safari.

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and see what your are connected to. If it is the unwanted CenturyLink site, then tap the blue arrow to the left of the network and choose Forget Network. This will keep it from automatically connecting again later.

Now choose the wi-fi network you normally use.

Below the list of available wi-fi networks you'll see Ask to Join a Network. If you have this on the iPad will ask you if you want to join a network whenever it does not have a connection but sees one available. If you say yes, it will attempt to join the network. From then on, whenever you are near that network it will automatically join it.

I suspect you said yes, once a while back, and ever since the iPad has automatically joined that network whenever it is in range. Joining a network is not the same as actually having internet access through it, thus the default site that you can't get past (because you're not authorized on the network).

Unless CenturyLink is your ISP, and you are connected to the right Wi-Fi network. In which case I have no idea. :eek:

#7 twerppoet, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  8. PJDavi

PJDavi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately Centurylink IS my ISP and I am connected to the right Wi-Fi network! Therefore, I think I will have to find a new ISP. I'm bundled through Dishnet and each is blaming the other. :-(

9. PJDavi

PJDavi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    [QUOTE="twerppoet;968467"Unless CenturyLink is your ISP, and you are connected to the right Wi-Fi network. In which case I have no idea. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Oops!

#9 PJDavi, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  10. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forum!

Hope you are able to resolve your issue ;)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.