What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all, newbie here!

bbdowns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just bought an iPad4 from Amazon and the first thing I notice is that I can't get Siri activated (it may not even be on the iPad) and also I see no mention of retinal logon. Have I been ripped off? Any ideas?

ps - o/s version 9.3.1

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Siri is on the iPad 4. What do you mean by retinal logon? Does the iPad have the newer lightning port for charging? If it has the older 30 pin dock connector, it's not an iPad 4.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So I just bought an iPad4 from Amazon and the first thing I notice is that I can't get Siri activated (it may not even be on the iPad) and also I see no mention of retinal logon. Have I been ripped off? Any ideas?

ps - o/s version 9.3.1

We need to know exactly what your bought - information is on the lower back of the iPad (in small print) or go to General -> About to retrieve your Model or Serial Number information (first pic from my iPad Air 2), then visit EveryMac Lookup (second pic) - enter one of those items and all you want to know about your Pad will be revealed - then let us know. Dave :)

P.S. blank out my serial number.
IMG_0236.PNG
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.37.42 PM.png

OP
bbdowns

bbdowns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Siri is on the iPad 4. What do you mean by retinal logon? Does the iPad have the newer lightning port for charging? If it has the older 30 pin dock connector, it's not an iPad 4.

So I just ran the serial num thru the website you suggested, and it appears I received an iPad2 instead of an iPad4. False advertising on Amazon. I suppose that explains why there is no Siri nor retina face recog. Thank you for your help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So I just ran the serial num thru the website you suggested, and it appears I received an iPad2 instead of an iPad4. False advertising on Amazon. I suppose that explains why there is no Siri nor retina face recog. Thank you for your help

Report it to Amazon support. They should make it right. Or at least try to. If you bought it from a third party seller, then it may take bit more; but at least Amazon will have the report of bad faith, and hopefully penalize the seller.

OP
bbdowns

bbdowns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, btw, when a seller states the iPad is 4th generation are they referring to the model (iPad4) or just the o/s?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, btw, when a seller states the iPad is 4th generation are they referring to the model (iPad4) or just the o/s?
If they’re advertising a 4th generation iPad it’s universally known that it refers to the model not the operating system.

If getting the seller to voluntarily give you a full refund if you return the iPad doesn’t work, you could try to force a refund if you paid by credit card or PayPal. If you used your credit card, contact the card issuer and tell them you want to do a chargeback because you were not shipped what was described in the listing. If you used PayPal, initiate an item not as described dispute. If PayPal decides in your favour, they’ll give you a refund and go after the seller. If PayPal or your credit card company require returning the iPad before you get your refund, use signature on delivery so you can prove the seller has the returned iPad

Last edited:
OP
bbdowns

bbdowns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your assistance Scifan57. It pisses me off that people lie about the product just to sell it!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Boy, that's a bummer - I started out w/ an iPad 2 in 2011, replaced 3 years ago w/ an iPad Air 2 - and probably will get a new one being another 3rd year anniversary - appears that TP & SciFan.. have 'chimed in' w/ a lot of great advice - please keep us informed and good luck - Dave :)

OP
bbdowns

bbdowns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I remember reading in the description was something about a retinal display?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
He might be referring to the retina screen like on the mini 2. That’s what I was thinking.

All I remember reading in the description was something about a retinal display?

There is no mystery at all - the reference is to Retina Display - a 4X increased resolution of the display screen - the original iPad & iPad 2 had a screen display of 1024Ă—768 pixels at 132 ppi - with the following iPad model releases, the display resolution increased to 2048Ă—1536 pixels at 264 ppi (Retina Display), i.e. twice the ppi & 4x the number of pixels - for more information, check this Wiki Article - NOW, as to 'facial recognition' check HERE - not applicable to previous iPad models, but maybe in the near future? Dave :)

OP
bbdowns

bbdowns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no mystery at all - the reference is to Retina Display - a 4X increased resolution of the display screen - the original iPad & iPad 2 had a screen display of 1024Ă—768 pixels at 132 ppi - with the following iPad model releases, the display resolution increased to 2048Ă—1536 pixels at 264 ppi (Retina Display), i.e. twice the ppi & 4x the number of pixels - for more information, check this Wiki Article - NOW, as to 'facial recognition' check HERE - not applicable to previous iPad models, but maybe in the near future? Dave :)

Ok, thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts