What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!

leosevn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a limit to the number of 'Notes' you can have?? I started a 5th 'Note', and now it seems as if one of the existing Notes has disappeared!! Did I do something wrong. And, is it possible to get that Note back? It had a whole wack of important stuff in it! Thanks.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only limit is the memory your iPad has. If notes disappear, perhaps try looking for them in spotlight by swiping to the left from the home screen and typing certain keywords or phrases. Perhaps an iTunes sync may bring them up again. And the most posted piece of advice on the forums, reset your iPad by holding down the power and home buttons until you see the apple logo.

OP
L

leosevn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the hint about spotlight! I had never used it before but I did find the 'notes' file I lost! I still don't understand why I lost the file, though. I still have over 10 gb available!

OP
L

leosevn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, now I have another issue. I rebooted, as you suggested. I had never done that. I also let my battery run down completely before I recharged it (don't know if that is really necessary). Anyway, I lost my access to the Internet, but realized the WiFi was off, I will assume it had something to with the reboot. So, now I can get online, but my Hotmail won't download! Gmail works okay, but when I try to look at mail in my Hotmail, I get the message 'This message has not been downloaded from the server'. And it just sits there, with the activity icon going round and round! I am at a loss! Help ..... Again. Thanks. Ross

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, now I have another issue. I rebooted, as you suggested. I had never done that. I also let my battery run down completely before I recharged it (don't know if that is really necessary). Anyway, I lost my access to the Internet, but realized the WiFi was off, I will assume it had something to with the reboot. So, now I can get online, but my Hotmail won't download! Gmail works okay, but when I try to look at mail in my Hotmail, I get the message 'This message has not been downloaded from the server'. And it just sits there, with the activity icon going round and round! I am at a loss! Help ..... Again. Thanks. Ross

Hotmail/Outlook had problems yesterday, and they were working on them. There still seem to be issues.
I have in the meantime deleted my Outlook account twice, which didn't help. You could try it, perhaps it will help you.

I'm having the same problem as you at the moment, although Microsoft Service Status says everything's running normally. What I did was report it, you could do that as well: https://status.live.com/report

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
........ So, now I can get online, but my Hotmail won't download! Gmail works okay, but when I try to look at mail in my Hotmail, I get the message 'This message has not been downloaded from the server'. And it just sits there, with the activity icon going round and round! I am at a loss! Help ....

Hi Ross - not sure 'how many' accounts you have setup on the iPad (at least two), but if one is misbehaving then I would first check the settings of that account. Now, my first suggestion would be to 'Force Close' the native Mail app, but since you 'rebooted' (I'm assuming that you did a 'Restart' by holding the On/Off & Home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appeared?).

First, Hotmail may be the issue (my Yahoo account periodically misbehaves and I blame them!), so let us know if the the situation corrects itself. Second, you may want to check the account in Settings -> Mail.... Email sites have outgoing & incoming server addresses - the POP3 or IMAP server sends the mail to you, and the SMTP server receives the mail from your device - can you 'send' mail via the Hotmail account? If so, the POP3 or IMAP address may be incorrect? If this is not helpful, you can 'Delete Account' (this will have no effect on your Hotmail's servers) and then setup Hotmail again w/ the appropriate username, PW, and server addresses - let us know your results and good luck! Dave :)

OP
L

leosevn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update to help

Good morning. Some clarification to my problem. Yes, I did a restart, as suggested. My Gmail,works fine. My Hotmail issue is this, and I only realized this a moment ago: I receive emails okay, I received the one from this forum just fine. But, if a link is included in the email, that is what doesn't open. I receive a lot of Groupon type emails, Groupon, WagJag, Dealfind, etc. when I try to open these, I see the email page, with the subject line, but that is as much as I see. Same with emails from stores that are sending me their sale catalog, for instance. However, the same email sent to my Gmail account opens fine.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning. Some clarification to my problem. Yes, I did a restart, as suggested. My Gmail,works fine. My Hotmail issue is this, and I only realized this a moment ago: I receive emails okay, I received the one from this forum just fine. But, if a link is included in the email, that is what doesn't open. I receive a lot of Groupon type emails, Groupon, WagJag, Dealfind, etc. when I try to open these, I see the email page, with the subject line, but that is as much as I see. Same with emails from stores that are sending me their sale catalog, for instance. However, the same email sent to my Gmail account opens fine.

Do you still have this problem, have you tried to look at your Hotmail emails today? It should now be running normally. If you still have problems, just report it, the link is in my previous post.

OP
L

leosevn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you still have this problem, have you tried to look at your Hotmail emails today? It should now be running normally. If you still have problems, just report it, the link is in my previous post.

Actually, the problem has disappeared!! All seems to be normal again. I guess it was a Hotmail issue? Thanks for your help. Ross

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guys,

Going back to the topic in general....... I too have this problem where a number of Notes are disappearing never to return.
I have tried Spotlight but nothing shows on the missing notes.
Also tried a reset but again the Notes App is only showing the ones it has decided not to delete.

All I can say is I have three accounts:-
iCloud with one note ~ Still present
GMail with five notes ~ All are present
BTMail with nine notes ~ 5 notes deleted.

As such it is something to do with BTMail account.

Further, under Settings/Notes ~ I have the BTMail account set as the Default Account.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We've been getting quite a few reports of this happening......have a look at this thread...I do hope it helps you!

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/72013-notes-disappeared.html

Thanks...
Unfortunately there is nothing there that points to any answers that I have not already tried.
It mentions Evernote heavily which I already use for a lot of my notes.

However as I can not rely on having a constant Internet connection I use the Notes App often and although yes I could simply transfer the notes to Evernote when a connection is available it would though be interesting to find out why the notes are being deleted.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, this is weird......

Yesterday when I first noticed some of my notes had disappeared I opened the Mail App on the iPad and noticed there was no folder named Notes.
This morning I went to my Laptop, loaded up my BT Yahoo Mail application and found again there was no Notes folder in my list of folders.

Anyway, I decided heck what is there to lose so have just installed the Yahoo Mail App on my iPad.
So, with it loaded I went straight to the folders and guess what..... There to my amazement was a folder named Notes and on looking inside I found all of my notes I had generated with the iPad Notes App using the BTMail account.

Okay, I now have all my notes back but what puzzles me is why does both the iPads Mail App and my Laptops Yahoo mail App not show the Notes folder yet the Yahoo App now on my iPad does?

Is this a case for Mulder & Scully?

Most reactions

Latest posts