What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capturing location of a photo + a note

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched all over for this but there is so much conflicting stuff. I'm a complete iPad newbie and confused.

I have a 16G 3g iPad 2.

I want to go off walking - possibly out of range of internet and take a quick picture using the iPad, and add a note to it, either typing or voice.

Then when I get back home I want to transfer that picture to my Windows 7 Home (64bit) PC, and be able to view the GPS long/lat location and the attached note.

It would be nice if it transferred directly into Lightroom, but as Lightroom doesn't handle PNG files I think there is going to be another step.

I would also like to attach the photo and location and notes to Google MyMaps.

Is this possible or am I dreaming?

I have imported a PNG file into Photoshop but there doesn't appear to be any exif type data attached to the photo. Am I missing something?

Many thanks,
RzB

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Opps - Just realised that the PNG file was a screen capture :-(...

I need to look at a jpeg from the camera...

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Opps - Just realised that the PNG file was a screen capture :-(...

I need to look at a jpeg from the camera...

OK - Apologies for that!

Looking at the jpegs all the Exif info appears to be there, I have imported into Lightroom and there is a button in Lightroom by the long/lat that opens Google maps and pops a pin at that location!

All I need to do now is..

Attach some text or voice to the picture and...

Get the marker, picture and notes into the right map in MyMaps.. hmm..

RzB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The first part can be done with Evernote. I'm not sure how you get the picture back out of Evernote for the rest, but it should be possible. It's probably as simple as copy/paste. Since Evernote is free, it won't cost to experiment.

A few 5MP photos will use your monthly allotment of Evernote space up very quickly, making the free account less useful this way. The iPad 2's smaller photos should go much further.

variador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app named photo note that let's you save a photo with a note. Don't know how it handles the other info.

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the help.

I investigated and found that Evernote is just about what I'm looking for.

The 60MB / Month will be ok as I'm not uploading hi res pics.

I can take a picture with the tablet, attach a note to it or a voice clip, save it, pick it up later on the PC and with a couple of clicks add it to Google My Maps - picture and note and all! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to add a voice clip to a Google map
marker - shame.

The other thing I don't seem to be able to do is access or edit any Google MyMaps on the iPad.

Many thanks,
RzB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know about Google MyMaps, but anything you can see on the screen can be added. Just take a snapshot of the screen by briefly pressing the home and power buttons at the same time. The resulting picture will show up in the Photos app. You may want to rotate or crop it before adding in Evernote. Adobe Photoshop Express works well for that. There are a multitude of drawing apps that you can import the photo to and do a little scribbling or highlighting before saving back to the Photos app, and then making the Evernote.

Most reactions

Latest posts