What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with You Tube app

murphzmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on You Tube yesterday via the app on my Ipad, things were great. Last night I had to sync my Ipad to Itunes to add some music. Went to you the You Tube app this morning and it asked for my user name and password, keep getting an error that authentication failed, username or password is incorrect. Here's the thing, I can go out to You Tube via the web and sign in with no problem whatsoever, it's just trying to use the app on my ipad that does not work.

Can someone please help!!

Mindy

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was on You Tube yesterday via the app on my Ipad, things were great. Last night I had to sync my Ipad to Itunes to add some music. Went to you the You Tube app this morning and it asked for my user name and password, keep getting an error that authentication failed, username or password is incorrect. Here's the thing, I can go out to You Tube via the web and sign in with no problem whatsoever, it's just trying to use the app on my ipad that does not work.

Can someone please help!!

Mindy

Have you tried deleting and re-installing the app?

OP
M

murphzmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not an app that I am given the ability to delete when I hold down the middle key and they all jiggle. I did read somewhere that I should go into settings, general and reset everything which I did but I am still having the same problem. Do you think it could have anything to do with the OS? It is current I know but I was wondering if someting got messed up after I synced it with Itunes.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which iOS version are you on, right now. the only YouTube app that can't be deleted is the one that was on the iPad prior to the introduction of iOS 6.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which iOS version are you on, right now. the only YouTube app that can't be deleted is the one that was on the iPad prior to the introduction of iOS 6.

Take a look at Settings!>General>Restrictions. If you have deleting apps turned off, the X won't appear when the apps are wiggling.

image-1111663064.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not an app that I am given the ability to delete when I hold down the middle key and they all jiggle. I did read somewhere that I should go into settings, general and reset everything which I did but I am still having the same problem. Do you think it could have anything to do with the OS? It is current I know but I was wondering if someting got messed up after I synced it with Itunes.

If you're using the built in app: there are still problems with login afaik. I read that a team is working on it. In the meantime you're asked to use the browser.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're using the built in app: there are still problems with login afaik. I read that a team is working on it. In the meantime you're asked to use the browser.

Login should be working again.

Pvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Login should be working again.

I read this post and many other threads elsewehere and still I can't get a correct login on YouTube. Is there a solution yet or is it really impossible with this settings:

Ipad 1
iOS 5

YouTube works correctly but I can't connect to my subscriptions and so on. I have the notorious "authentication failed" as many other people in this situation.

I'd like to use the app and not the browser for this.

Maybe someone can explain exactly what's possible and what's not anymore with YouTube authentification without the possibility to upgrade to iOS 6?

Many thanks and best regards,

pvol

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Pvol! Welcome to iPF!

This question was posted over a year ago, when there were problems with the app. These shouldn't exist at the moment. Afaik youtube is not down.

The app requires iOS 6 and later. I don't know exactly whether or not running it on an iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 will cause problems. I hope someone will be able to explain this to you.

But just to make sure that you did everything possible to avoid the authentication error:

If logged in with your username before, do so with your Gmail address and password.

If you're signed in, sign out again (Use youtube without a Google account). Then try signing in once more.

Delete the app and reinstall it.

If possible, switch to another network.

I hope someone else will be able to explain what's possible with an iPad1.

Pvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the help, Johanna. That's the problem indeed. The new app requires iOS6 and this can't be installed with iPad1. And with the "old" app, I can't connect anymore.

Hope there is a trick somehow!

regards,

pvol

Pvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, it works well with the browser but I'd like (and miss) the ease of the YouTube app.

pvol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, it works well with the browser but I'd like (and miss) the ease of the YouTube app.

pvol

I see. Nothing I can do to help. :(

Once Apple decided to stop making their own Youtube app it was only a matter of time before Google changed something; making it incompatible.

There are a few third party YouTube apps (besides Google's). You might try searching through them and checking the compatibly (at the bottom of the description) to see if they retain their iOS 5.x (or earlier) compatibility. If they are paid, be sure to make sure that they still work with the site as well.

Good luck.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try looking at this app, "Instatube" ($2.99, USD). Granted, it's not free, but it's a pretty good app for viewing YouTube videos (well, IMHO, of course).

The good thing is that it it says it runs on iOS 5.1.1. And, it just got updated on July 31, so it's regularly updated, not just issued and forgotten.

Sorry about your troubles - I hope you find something that works for you...

Marilyn

Pvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Twerppoet and Marilyn,

I'll check that!

pvol

Most reactions