What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help required

Daisho41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a way that I can transfer say Files from my Computer to my I Pad, perhaps Copy and Paste, I am NOt very IT literate (I am 77) so any help in Plain English would be gratefully received.

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a way that I can transfer say Files from my Computer to my I Pad, perhaps Copy and Paste, I am NOt very IT literate (I am 77) so any help in Plain English would be gratefully received.
Hi,
What I do is to upload everything that I have on my PC to Dropbox. Obviously just the files that I want to access from my iPad. This works for me as all my files are either Word or Excel.
Dropbox is free and you could use iCloud if you prefer.

OP
Daisho41

Daisho41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have dropbox, would that work with say a story/(short one) I run a forum for over 50s, and i wanted to post some short Stories, in the forum,

Thanks for your quick reply

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly will. All you need to do is download the app to your iPad and login. You need internet access to view files. If you favorite a file, it will be available offline as well. In that case it will use storage space on your iPad.

OP
Daisho41

Daisho41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so very much I shall now go and venture into the unknown so to speak and try that, I appreciate your help very much

thank you

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

If you need further help with your device, don't hesitate to post your question. :)

OP
Daisho41

Daisho41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must have known?, I have copied the short story I wanted, clicked on Dropbox within my Computer, I also have Dropbox installed on my I pad.
When I open Dropbox though, how do I insert the story?

Sorry to be so thick, I am rteally very naive on this stuff, can yolu help again please
Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you need to insert the story? Is it Safari, or is it an app?

OP
Daisho41

Daisho41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to take the story from one site basically and insert it into my own site, if I could get it into DROPBOX then I have often taken photos etc and put them in from Drop box, that part is no problem, it is being able now to actually put it into dropbox? i cannot figure out how to do that, yet i have got lots of other stuff in there,
Normally i would click on Documents and a box would open and I would enter a header, click on the open and it would then appear within dropbox> BUt that box is not visible when i open Dropbox?

I hope that is clear? (it baffles me and I am writing it)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To get it to Dropbox, access the file in Safari, if it's already there.
At the top, you should find the "Open in..." option. If you can't see it, tap to view it:
image.jpg

Tap it, and apps that work with the file will open:
image.jpg

If you can't find Dropbox here, slide to the right/left, until it's there:
image.jpg

Tap it to load it to Dropbox. It'll immediately open in Dropbox. You'll have to decide where to save it (folder in Dropbox, or not in a folder).

Hope that helps.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me take a stab at this, J. A. , I'm 82.

On the PC, copy & paste your story into Dropbox in Windows Explorer, or drag it there from wherever it is if you wish.

On the iPad, open the Dropbox app, find your story, and copy it or "Open in..." another app. To get it into your forum, I imagine you will want to copy & paste -- I don't know how your forum works.

Be sure to allow a little time from when you add it to Dropbox before you try to retrieve it on the iPad, to allow it to synch over.

Does that help?

Most reactions