What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help !!!! Not loving the ipad at the moment.

Confused

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

Be gentle with me please - I have to admit at the mo the ipad isn't really doing what I need it to. To make me smile I am hoping you good people can help.

I have a Sony ereader and have bought a fair few epub books which are now "locked" in to my ereader library. I obviously dont need both ipad and ereader but am not succeeding in transferring them over - so the question is - 1. Can I transfer them and 2. if I can - in plain english can someone please tell me how to do it.

Cheers

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
Hi Peeps,

Be gentle with me please - I have to admit at the mo the ipad isn't really doing what I need it to. To make me smile I am hoping you good people can help.

I have a Sony ereader and have bought a fair few epub books which are now "locked" in to my ereader library. I obviously dont need both ipad and ereader but am not succeeding in transferring them over - so the question is - 1. Can I transfer them and 2. if I can - in plain english can someone please tell me how to do it.

Cheers

The first question is, where did you purchase the books from? Did you purchase them using the Sony Reader? Or did you purchase them from a website on your computer and then transfer them to your Sony Reader? (Sorry, I don't know how purchasing books for the Sony Reader works).

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick Google search on "epub sony drm" suggests that your files are DRM'd to your reader.

The only way to get them to the iPad would be to strip the DRM.

And I hate to say it but that is not the iPad's fault.

HistoryWes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they are non-DRM books, you can just find them in the my books directory by using the add file to library or add folder to library command under the file menu in iTunes. Then they will easily be copied over. If they haver DRM, they need to be stripped of it before. You can find out how to do that on the web.

charriga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a quick skim at an e-reader site I lurk on. If they are from the sony book store you may have a hard time making them work. I don't think Sony has an ipad app.

There's supposed to be an app called TXTR that works for Sony epubs (not lrf files) on the iphone. The post was a few months old, but it indicated there would be an ipad version in the future (which could be now).

HistoryWes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've transferred all my books from the Sony Reader to the iPad. It's really not a big deal to do it. If they are books from the Sony store,then they are DRM'ed. You have to convert the. Google "removing drm from Sony ebooks". It's not that hard either. Once you do that, all your Sony books will work fine on the iPad.

harv2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a Google search for the "Adobe Digital Editions" program put out by Adobe. I haven't been through the process you are attempting myself, but when purchasing Sony books and using them on my Nook, I need to wash them through ADE on the way to the Nook. Adobe then identifies the Nook as an authorized machine. As I've not been through it, I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I think this is the first thing I would try, and possibly use the Barnes and Noble reader to read them.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As others have stated, a quick search will answer your questions on removing DRM from the data you need to transfer. Its a fairly easy process, and once you start using the iPad, not liking and iPad will never appear in your vocabulary together again. And most of the posters here are far from fanboys of apple, but you gotta give credit where it's due.

This site has been an invaluable resource in my learning the iPad as I didn't use an iPhone for very long at all and it was a long time ago, so the os is completely new to me. Thanks to the members here, I've adapted well to the iPad and what some would call it's limitations.

Good luck with the books. Let us know how things turn out.

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad we can convert files from the Sony Reader to the iPad. Frankly, there are at least 5 major eReaders out there on the iPad and there isn't room for Sony to enter the fray. I had a Sony Reader and loved it, but I've given that away now I have the iPad. Sony is simply too late to the party, in my opinion.

OP
C

Confused

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers for all the feedback peeps. I do love my ipad really but i dont think its the miracle machine it has been advertised as - there are a fair few things that my Mac book does that ipad doesnt - I know its not supposed to do everything but it can be frustrating. Is it wrong to say I actually regret a little bit getting my ipad :0(

The books were purchased through waterstones and downloaded onto the ereader - I did some reading around the DRM removal - I think I will stick with Kindle and download through Amazon as they actually seem cheaper than alot of books here in the UK.

Cheers again

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never purchased books outside of the US via the iPad, but I can say for sure every book I have come across and wanted to buy, is cheaper on Kindle as opposed to iBooks.

Most reactions

Latest posts