What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Not Charging

Purplehaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i connect my ipad to my computer via USP it said not charging how do i fix this??

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most laptops don't produce enough power to charge the ipad (I think Macs do!). you need to charge it through your wall charger only! When you connect the ipad to the computer it would say "Not charging", although it charges very very slowly!

OP
Purplehaste

Purplehaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
You need USB 3.0 to charge the iPad from a laptop.

how do i know its 3.0 USB sorry im noob at this.

iPad 3 

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You would need to look in the Windows System to find out, or whatever the equivalent is on a Mac.

Unless your computer is quite new you are unlikely to have it, although its possible to buy a card with up to 4 USB3.0 ports on it. They are very easy to install on a desktop.

OP
Purplehaste

Purplehaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
You would need to look in the Windows System to find out, or whatever the equivalent is on a Mac.

Unless your computer is quite new you are unlikely to have it, although its possible to buy a card with up to 4 USB3.0 ports on it. They are very easy to install on a desktop.

thanks i will think about buying the usb port anyway thank you for helping me

iPad 3 

johnpsz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad needs 10watts to charge it, most PC usb ports are much less than that, there was a graph I saw the other day that showed different device USB requirements and how long it took to charge things with the different devices. The basic gist is with a PC USB port you will take about 4 times longer to charge the iPad than with the supplied charger, an iPhone charger will take about twice as long to charge the iPad, and since there is so little of a charge from the PC port that is is basically maintaining the existing charge when hooked to the computer therefore you see the "Not Charging" next to the battery, however if you let the iPad screen go off and sit on the USB port is will charge.

bushbush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Emmm I dont no much about this subject but once my friend said that she charge her pad via laptop by a program called aicharger . I hope this help you some how

Most reactions