My iPad is not Charging!

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by TabletCat, Jan 9, 2015.

1. TabletCat

TabletCat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, etc.

The past two days I've had a charging/rebooting problem.

If I connect the charge port, my iPad will reboot....it will shut down only if the charge port is not connected

Did the update to the iOS, AFAIK, but the problem remains.

Please help

2. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I 'm sure you have probably tried it, but a hardware reset?

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Please provide us w/ more information: 1) What iPad do you own; 2) What iOS update did you do (assume to 8.x); and 3) What charger are you using - be specific?

Try the 'Reset', i.e. hold both the ON-OFF & HOME buttoms simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - allow the iPad to re-boot - post back your results and the answers to my questions. Dave :)

#3 giradman, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. TabletCat

TabletCat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It's an iPad 3, 32 GB, refurbished

The iOS is 8.1.2 (12B440)

AC adaptor
    • 0.3a, 50-60HZ
    • Output 5v 2100mA
    • iPad charger.jpg

Model MC744LL/A

Modern Firmware 5.3.00

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    That does not look like the original AC Adaptor*. If you still have the original, give it a try. A lot of the cheaper adaptors are exactly that, cheap, made of cheap components that barely meat the minimum safety specs.

Anyway, you need to try a second AC adaptor, if for no other reason than to eliminate it as the possible source of the problem.

* I can't see the manufacturer of the device, so it's possible it is a great product. Griffin and Belkin make good, safe, reliable products. There are others. In general, they cost less than Apple's adaptor, but more than the super cheap stuff you see on Amazon.

6. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Probably not applicable in this instance, but I noticed that extending the USB cable between my Apple charger and the Air 2 by 1m was enough to stop my iPad charging. (The wires used in both USB extension cables and the USB/lightning cable must be pretty thin and the charging current may be up to 2 amps hence the voltage drop.)

7. alicepattinson

alicepattinson
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Maybe charger you are using is not compatible. :)

8. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the reset yet?

9. TabletCat

TabletCat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Let me start again

This is what I bought > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=141424398991&view=all&tid=1046651678004

Wikipedia desc of the iPad 3rd generation > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_(3rd_generation)

It's 32 GB, WiFi, refurbished, Model MC744LL/A, Modern Firmware 5.3.00

The iOS is 8.1.2 (12B440) My problems started when my iPad got notification of this update last Wednesday.

The charger that came with it does not have a make or hint of wattage, although it did charge the iPad until this problem....I bought a Griffin > http://store.griffintechnology.com/powerblock-with-lightning-cable-12w Did not solve the problem, but this seems to rule out the cause being a bad charger.

The problem: The iPad won't charge. When I power down, one of two things happen
    1. If the 30-pin connector is left in the port, it reboots after shut down
    2. If the iPad is shut down without the charge port connected, it shuts down normally. If I then plug in the 30-pin connector, it boots up. Does not matter if the connector is connected to the charger.
    As previously suggested, I tried the ON-OFF & HOME buttons without success.

Should I consider going into settings and choose that Reset?

Power is down to about 35%, I hope there are options if the battery is exhausted.

Hope this post clarifies.

Thank you for the replies.

#9 TabletCat, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You swapped cables too, yes?

Actually, the iPad does start when you plug it in. It always has, as long as it has enough charge. At least in the last couple of years. I'm not sure before that. And it has a tendency to start again even if you plug in and then shut down. I think it has to do with the iPad needing to be on to monitor the charging; though I'm not sure.

You should not have to shut off your iPad to charge, though putting it to sleep by pressing the power button briefly is a good idea.

On both chargers, do you get a charging indication in the top right corner of the screen when it's plugged in?

If not, it's likely either the port is bad, or the battery, or some other hardware problem on the iPad. You can try to get it repaired, though with an iPad 3 it may not be worth the cost vs getting a newer model.