What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Problem

rolandk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 64 3rd gen. When I plug in the iPad to an electrical outlet it always says "not charging" on the icon on the iPad, yet it seems to charge, though very slowly. I have tried 3 different cables and two ac connectors with no change. Also when I connect it to the computer it also says it isn't charging. I am always careful to close out any programs I had used earlier so there is less drain. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated. Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the problem occur no matter which outlet you plug the charger into? Are you using the charger that came with the iPad?

OP
R

rolandk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I have used both the Apple wall outlet USB connector and one I bought at the Verizon store. I have two outlets in my room and have used both, and my iPhone charges OK in them. One other thing, I may have made a mistake when Im said iPad 64 3rd generation, mine has the retina display and I bought it last July from Apple. I thought it it was a 3rd gen., but someone told me the retina didn't start until the 4th. Not that would make a difference. I think I will take it to the Apple store and ask them to look at it as I did purchase the extended warranty with it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the slow charging persists, no matter which outlet you use it would be a good idea to have the Apple store check it out. Before going, call the telephone technical support number, it's free for 2 years with AppleCare.
Your friend is wrong about the retina display, the iPad 3 was the first iPad with the retina display.

You should also backup your iPad before going to the Apple store, in case your problem is a warranty issue and you are offered a replacement. A new iPad can be set up with the backup you made.

Most reactions