Charging Problem

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by rolandk, May 30, 2013.

1. rolandk

rolandk iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an iPad 64 3rd gen. When I plug in the iPad to an electrical outlet it always says "not charging" on the icon on the iPad, yet it seems to charge, though very slowly. I have tried 3 different cables and two ac connectors with no change. Also when I connect it to the computer it also says it isn't charging. I am always careful to close out any programs I had used earlier so there is less drain. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,379 / 2
    Does the problem occur no matter which outlet you plug the charger into? Are you using the charger that came with the iPad?

3. rolandk

rolandk iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for replying. I have used both the Apple wall outlet USB connector and one I bought at the Verizon store. I have two outlets in my room and have used both, and my iPhone charges OK in them. One other thing, I may have made a mistake when Im said iPad 64 3rd generation, mine has the retina display and I bought it last July from Apple. I thought it it was a 3rd gen., but someone told me the retina didn't start until the 4th. Not that would make a difference. I think I will take it to the Apple store and ask them to look at it as I did purchase the extended warranty with it.

4. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,379 / 2
    If the slow charging persists, no matter which outlet you use it would be a good idea to have the Apple store check it out. Before going, call the telephone technical support number, it's free for 2 years with AppleCare.
    Your friend is wrong about the retina display, the iPad 3 was the first iPad with the retina display.

You should also backup your iPad before going to the Apple store, in case your problem is a warranty issue and you are offered a replacement. A new iPad can be set up with the backup you made.

• Like Like x 1