What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help again, please - lost Apple passcode

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in trouble again with something that has previously been straightforward ! I have a notification that there is a 'Settings' update awaiting downloading.
When I try to do the download, I am being asked for my Apple PASSCODE. I'm sure that, previously, I have always just entered my PASSWORD to start downloads.
My PASSWORD has now been rejected 5 times!
Is there any way in which I can find my PASSCODE?

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm in trouble again with something that has previously been straightforward ! I have a notification that there is a 'Settings' update awaiting downloading. When I try to do the download, I am being asked for my Apple PASSCODE. I'm sure that, previously, I have always just entered my PASSWORD to start downloads. My PASSWORD has now been rejected 5 times! Is there any way in which I can find my PASSCODE? Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Are you entering the password that you use when purchasing items from iTunes or the App Store? If you can't remember the password there is no way to recover it from the device.

OP
A

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Scifan, I am, though in an attempt to solve the problem myself before asking on here, I did change the password and it has been verified.

OP
A

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, tried that. That's when I got the distinct impression that there was a difference between PASSWORD and PASSCODE. Are they, in practice, one and the same?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, tried that. That's when I got the distinct impression that there was a difference between PASSWORD and PASSCODE. Are they, in practice, one and the same?
The password is associated with your Apple ID and is what is used to access Apple services such as iTunes and App Store purchases. It is also used when turning off find my iPhone and iCloud as well as to erase your device and restore to factory condition. The passcode is associated with your device and is used to secure it from unauthorized use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Passcode usually refers to a four digit code. On the iPad there are three possible passcod prompts (that I can think of).

One is for unlocking the device, and should not have anything to do with this issue.

The second is for Restrictions, and since you mentioned some kind of Settings update, it might be involved. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions and see if they are on. If they are, then there will be a passcode for it. Hopefully you remember or have written it down somewhere.

{I set this code myself, even though I don't turn on any Restrictions. It keeps anyone else from being 'helpful' and setting it for me. Something to think of if you're not the sole user of you iPad. In my case it's just general paranoia. Only I use my iPad.}

The other passcode has to do with Keychain syncing between devices. When you set up Keychain syncing through iCloud for the first time it asks you to create a passcode, as well as choosing a primary device that can authorize new devices.. I'm not entirely sure what the passcode is used for, but I suspect it's in case your primary device is not available, or has been replaced.

And that is all the iPad passcodes I know of. There might be another, I suppose, but nothing comes to mind.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts