What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

albertgo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am highly considering to get an IPAD 2 and wanted to know more if it works well with Ubuntu Linux 10.10 since that is my OS. Once I get one, its gonna my first Apple!

Thanks!

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An Ubuntu user?! I was feeling so lonely...

let me get this straight, you want to install Ubuntu on the iPad2? If that's the case it is near impossible I'm afraid...

But! If you want an alternative, buy an iPad 1 and jailbreak it. You can run a mobile terminal and do everything that you are used to doing on Linux! SSH, file transfer, EVERYTHING!

But...you will need to get your hands Windows, because you need to do the initial installation ( and updates ) from iTunes I'm afraid... I personally use my brothers laptop for that while he is sleeping! :p

Here is a screenshot of my iPad to get your mouth watering! :D

4d1f4037-ad4a-6b31.jpg

If you need help setting up, let me know and I'll help you out!

I need an Ubuntu buddy in the forums! :(

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fr0st said:
An Ubuntu user?! I was feeling so lonely...

let me get this straight, you want to install Ubuntu on the iPad2? If that's the case it is near impossible I'm afraid...

But! If you want an alternative, buy an iPad 1 and jailbreak it. You can run a mobile terminal and do everything that you are used to doing on Linux! SSH, file transfer, EVERYTHING!

But...you will need to get your hands Windows, because you need to do the initial installation ( and updates ) from iTunes I'm afraid... I personally use my brothers laptop for that while he is sleeping! :p

Here is a screenshot of my iPad to get your mouth watering! :D

If you need help setting up, let me know and I'll help you out!

I need an Ubuntu buddy in the forums! :(

Watcha doin there in terminal? :)

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's me accessing my laptop on mobile terminal. I'm not doing something really crazy, I have connected to my laptop via SSH, I've navigated to desktop, and basically displayed it.

It's just that using UNIX commands on an iPad is just...cool! :D

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*cough*

Can't discuss my off hour activities here I'm afraid... :(

That would be a pic from another forum!

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yo! Ubuntu user here! Ok ok. The lappy is a dual boot with GRUB since I still have exactly 3 programs that only work with Windows 7. But almost always using the Linux OS.

Going out on a limb here and guessing the OP meant installing iTunes on Ubuntu and syncing the device. Or possibly mounting it as an external storage device? Like will Ubuntu install drivers with plug and play ease or are to doing lots of config work to support iPad?

I don't see how anyone is going to run Ubuntu on iPad2 without heavy hacking. If you want a linux based tablet just go Android. There's stock support for terminal emulators and SSHing to your linux box. Once you root you are all su all the time and you can install custom kernals. But honestly I'm guessing them meant how iOS and Ubuntu play together rather than installing a Ubuntu instance on iPad.

That said....no idea. iPad is hooked up only to hubby's Windows 7 laptop. I can fire up mine and take a look for you though when I get home.

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
extendedforecast said:
Yo! Ubuntu user here! Ok ok. The lappy is a dual boot with GRUB since I still have exactly 3 programs that only work with Windows 7. But almost always using the Linux OS.

Going out on a limb here and guessing the OP meant installing iTunes on Ubuntu and syncing the device. Or possibly mounting it as an external storage device? Like will Ubuntu install drivers with plug and play ease or are to doing lots of config work to support iPad?

I don't see how anyone is going to run Ubuntu on iPad2 without heavy hacking. If you want a linux based tablet just go Android. There's stock support for terminal emulators and SSHing to your linux box. Once you root you are all su all the time and you can install custom kernals. But honestly I'm guessing them meant how iOS and Ubuntu play together rather than installing a Ubuntu instance on iPad.

That said....no idea. iPad is hooked up only to hubby's Windows 7 laptop. I can fire up mine and take a look for you though when I get home.

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

Lappy? Hubby? Brits.....

:)

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More Ubuntu people! Starting to love this forum! :D

Yea that's the problem with iPads, they don't like Linux distros... :(

Like I said, you'll need to find a Windows or Mac to set up an iPad 2 if you really have you heart set on one.

Androids on the other hand love our little GRUBY GNU-ey boxes! :D

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
In case you were actually asking if you can sync your iPad with Ubuntu like we can do it with the iPhone, the answer is no. But Ubuntu does support the application folders like iTunes does. When you'll connect your iPad to your computer, you'll see 2 mount points. One for the pictures and another one for installed applications.

So if you want to put a movie on your iPad, install oPlayerHD, connect to your USB port and in the mount point, you have a folder for oPlayerHD. Simply put the mp4 movie in there. I use handbrake for the transcoding, the quality is really great. Oh it does support all movie formats, but with mp4, you can use the native player.

For music, you'll have to rely on another app than the stock iPod. One is quite good, Fusion Stream. It is actually a dlnp client, compatible with mediatomb, but you can copy your music via USB the same way as movies.

I'm following what the dev team is doing in the libimobiledevice project. Since the last firmware, the checksum do not work anymore on the files. Probably soon, they will fix it.

VicoPad addict!

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But DrHouse, I think you should point out that you can't really update and/ or jail beak from Ubuntu.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! :D

I'm only stating this because I use Ubuntu for my day to day tasks in conduction with my iPad, however I need to resort to my brothers windows laptop if I need to update or re-jailbreak...

Just a though...

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Fr0st said:
But DrHouse, I think you should point out that you can't really update and/ or jail beak from Ubuntu.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! :D

I'm only stating this because I use Ubuntu for my day to day tasks in conduction with my iPad, however I need to resort to my brothers windows laptop if I need to update or re-jailbreak...

Just a though...

There is a project that is working on upgrading and activating iOS devices. Google for iDeviceActivate... but never got it to work for my iPhone 3GS and surely it's not working with the iPad. As for JB, I don't know, I've done it in the past for my iPhone 3GS, but did not find any interest in doing so as with recent firmware, features that I needed were added:
- Skype running in the background and over 3G
- music apps, running in the background
- tethering between my iPad and my iPhone

VicoPad addict!

OP
A

albertgo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey All!

Thanks for your responses and its really good to get inputs from other people out there. To Frost, I really like your suggestion. But since I just got my IPAD 2, I'll work with this first.

Just to clarify what I really wanted to ask: I was more into the idea of getting detailed instructions how to sync files to my IPAD 2 using my current OS of Ubuntu and also make it function as an external storage device. Extendedforecast pointed that out eventually. Thanks for catching that.

:ipad-back:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
albertgo said:
Hey All!

Thanks for your responses and its really good to get inputs from other people out there. To Frost, I really like your suggestion. But since I just got my IPAD 2, I'll work with this first.

Just to clarify what I really wanted to ask: I was more into the idea of getting detailed instructions how to sync files to my IPAD 2 using my current OS of Ubuntu and also make it function as an external storage device. Extendedforecast pointed that out eventually. Thanks for catching that.

:ipad-back:

The only way to gain filesystem access is to jailbreak. But syncing requires iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts