Linux And IPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Smallwheels, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Smallwheels

Smallwheels
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've dual booted Vista and Ubuntu on my HP computer because Vista is driving me nuts. At least Linux would have an excuse for not working perfectly.

I've read that Linux interacts with many things or has programs that do the same tasks as Windows programs. Will the iPad be able to interact with Linux and its programs or will I still need Windows to interact with the iPad?

I know that there isn't an iTunes for Linux but there are iPod compatible programs available.

Since the iPad OS is the iPhone OS, there must be Linux users with iPhones that can attest to how an iPhone interacts with a Linux computer. Please do let me know how it is done and how well it works.

2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Banshee

This app should work, have not tested it myself as my ubuntu laptop was stolen.

3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Banshee does NOT support the iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad... at this time. I understand that older versions of iTunes will run under WINE, but then that sort of defeats the purpose since you need the latest version of iTunes to get the most benefit from it.

Don't get me wrong, I like *nix! I have a Vista machine that dual boots to OpenSUSE, another computer with nothing but Ubuntu on it and yet another "dinosaur" with honest-to-goodness SCO Unix on it.

I am actually dangerously close to chucking them all and just getting a Mac one day before too long.

4. Smallwheels

Smallwheels
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've Got A Mac

I've got a Mac Book that I want to stop using. I don't really do computing. I do web surfing, document writing, and occasionally edit movies I've made with my Flip video camera. I do save photos on the computer too. The only thing the iPad doesn't do at this time is edit movies with iMovie.

I need to keep Vista so I can stream movies from Netflix.

Since Ubuntu can do almost everything I don't feel the need to keep a Mac. If I needed a specific program for a job then I might feel the need to keep a Mac Book. The compiz desktop interface does everything that I love about the Mac Book desktop.

A tablet will become my portable device and my desktop Ubuntu/Vista machine will be the workhorse.

5. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I guess I am sort of in the same place. I use *nix because I want to. I use Windows because I have to. I actually have no good reason to buy a Mac. Never had one but a part of me wants to see what all the fuss is about. Even with a MacMini, by the time you dress it out with a decent amount of memory and hard drive, it comes close to (if not over) $1000 - not including a monitor (if you buy one brand new) and I just don't know if I am that curious!

6. Smallwheels

Smallwheels
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    1991-C4 you haven't mentioned how the iPad interacts with Linux. Do you have an iPad? If so how does it work within Linux? Maybe you have an iPhone or iPod Touch. Let me know how they interact with Linux. It should be nearly the same right?

7. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:

8. Smallwheels

Smallwheels
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    There is a Netflix app that allows streaming. The iPad VGA out only works at 1080 X 768. I have a 23" 1900 X 1080 screen that I use for the Mac Book and HP computer. Movies and TV shows look great on it. I prefer watching the larger screen.

I do intend to sell the Mac Book once I get Ubuntu working normally. It was just installed and isn't totally set up properly. Once I know everything is stable and doing fine the Mac Book will be sold.

9. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    That's an easy one to answer: IT DOESN'T! I have an iPad and an iPod Touch (two actually) and I have not found anything that emulates iTunes on Linux. But then again, my devices are not jailbroken.

There may be Linux solutions for the iPad, but am not aware of them (and honestly I haven't spent a lot of time looking).

And just to keep the record straight, I am not the one who is keeping Vista to stream from Netflix, that is Smallwheels.

#9 iPadCharlie, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  10. Damian.nikodem

Damian.nikodem
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My ipad is arriving shortly, I run a 100% linux household, (with the exception of a 10 year-old iMac for one of my kids, that will not even run a iTunes modern enough to connect to a iPhone, But I can get away with it as I see OSX as a form of unix. )

Under linux I have typically used the "Virtualbox" VM with windows XP and iTunes installed,

While this is a less than ideal situation this does give me the benefit of being able to do all tasks on our iPhones and iPods that iTunes is supposed to let us do.