What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HBO App in Canada

mlehman9436

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is so annoying to find out that certain apps are not available in Canada. I wanted to download the HBO app to get information about Curb Your Enthusiasm, the comedy show by Larry David. I simply get 'cannot complete your request'. What's up?

Reaction score
mlehman9436 said:
It is so annoying to find out that certain apps are not available in Canada. I wanted to download the HBO app to get information about Curb Your Enthusiasm, the comedy show by Larry David. I simply get 'cannot complete your request'. What's up?

The 'cannot complete your request' popup always shows, when the app is not available in your country. It is the developers choice, where they offer their apps, so if it is US only, then there the above mentioned message will appear. This also frequently happens with AppShopper, as it lists US apps, which are not always available in other countries.

But in general, only subscription based apps are country-restricted.

There is a work-around for this issue, which involves setting up a US Apple ID with a US gift-card, which can be purchased online and then downloading the app from the US Apple account. The iPad can be activated with up to 5 different Apple ID's, so this might be an option for you.

OP
M

mlehman9436

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
There is a work-around for this issue, which involves setting up a US Apple ID with a US gift-card, which can be purchased online and then downloading the app from the US Apple account. The iPad can be activated with up to 5 different Apple ID's, so this might be an option for you.

I went to the gift card page. I assume I would buy an ITunes card.

The fine print at the bottom of the Apple Gift Card page says : "Gift recipient must have or open an iTunes Store account in the same country as purchaser to redeem gift."

Might this mean that I have to have a US IP address to download? In other words, I would have to be in the US to use this account?

I find it hard to believe it is as simple as ordering this card. For instance, I have two Netflix accounts. I can only use my Canadian Netflix account (which has access to only 9000 titles) in Canada. Following purchase of this gift card, would I be able to download the US Netflix APP and therefore get access to the 20000 plus titles available to US users?

Reaction score
If you buy a US gift card, you can set-up an US Apple ID, regardless of your current location, but you must use enter a valid US address. Once you have the US Apple ID setup, you can download any app from the US AppStore, and you do not need to be inside the US.

However, in your case with Netflix, I doubt that it will work, because you have a canadian netflix subscription and not a US one. So if you where to download the US Netflix app, it most likely wouldn't accept your Netflix account.

Most reactions

Latest posts