Having trouble finding value in my iPad -- about to return...

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by akdms, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jman09

Jman09
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Matth3w, people need to realize what it was made for and they will be happier with it can do. If you expect/want it to do more then you will never be happy with it.

2. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm relaxed, I'm just saying that having it replace a laptop is not it's intention. That's like buying a bike and expecting to hop on the freeway...sure you can do it, but wouldn't a car be much more suitable for that use?

And the point that I am trying to make relevant to this thread is, most of the complaints about the iPad stem from the fact that people don't realize that.

3. henry2

henry2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    like a lot of people here have beening saying it something inbetween the laptop and and smart phone and yes it allows me to check my email on the fly with a local hotspot Wifi set up along with me keep a check on diff things i have in the diff application on the Ipad ..

4. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    To be fair the Evo has only been out a few days... The iPad a bit longer.

Can't say i'd use my Evo for movies, tv shows, books, or DVDs, so there's that.

For me the $300.00 delta is the net-book that I don't use any more.

5. mos380

mos380
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    II work in the tech field so I'm surrounded by computers. Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Netbook, iPad, and Evo, Droid, Storm. I have an iPad just because. It's best when travelling or couch surfing. Is it worth close to $1,000 dollars for that purpose... Probably not. But that's what I use it for. Because I work in the tech field I like options. The option to use flash would be nice. It's their product so there's no gripe from me. I don't play flash based games and to me that's what it's really about. If they support flash, there's a gazillion games that could be played without going through the App store. Sure they don't want that. Either way, I like choice. I chose to buy it. I think the individual that started the thread asked a great question. I don't think it's worth the money but I like new things so I bought it.

6. akdms

akdms
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    mos -- I actually am a tech geek, which is I think part of my problem. Our household has four laptops (one running linux, one is a netbook), a gaming desktop, an Xbox, a hacked PSP, a hacked Wii, two Kindles, two Zunes...

I'm actually starting to realize that I do use them both not for difference purposes, but at different times. The Evo I use if I'm standing in line and want to check something out. The iPad if I want to sit a chill for a while.

That said, then I start running into the issue of iPad vs laptop, with the iPad's portability being diminished due to the Evo. The iPad just feels GOOD though, and I've been using it a LOT... Even though it's kind of unpractical.

I have a business trip next week. I think I'll take it with me and see it goes. I just uploaded a couple hundred pages of research documents to DropBox that I would normally print out (for some reason I don't mind reading them on an iPad screen, but hate it on a laptop screen). I might also just suck it up and buy a few apps.

7. iceman

iceman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the tech field my self. At home, I have 4 desktop computers that I built running 24x7.

I use the iPad around the house, on the couch, etc. I use the iPad when I ride the shuttle bus to work. And I use the iPad at work to check personal email. To me it's just more convinent to use

8. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I say just keep the iPad so it will be a $500 (at least!) lesson so that every time you look at it, this will teach you to do more research on a product BEFORE you plunk down the cash for the next gadget that comes down the pike.

#48 iPadCharlie, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. Tabhunter

Tabhunter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had Macs since 1984! I LOVE THEM!!

But I do not love or like that I cannot watch so many news videos on most of local TV stations. Some of the big stations have both HTML5 and flashplayer, but most local stations do not. Since I use the iPad for travel, I really really miss this. In fact it has now prevented me from doing my job, so I am going back to travelling with laptop. Not being able to watch so much of breaking news on local stations in so many cities is a real disadvantage.

And please do not bombard me with YOU KNEW IT DIDN"T HAVE FLASH BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT comments. Yes, of course I did. But I was not smart enough to know that would mean I could not watch the local news videos.

But there are so many of you that are so smart. Is there an APP that I can use to view news videos that require flash?

10. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Not yet. Bear in mind that Flash isn't a video format, it's a way of presenting video. As non-Flash capable products proliferate, we'll see more and more companies adopt methods of delivering video that don't require Flash, probably in parallel with their Flash-media. It's just a matter of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.