What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from the desert

ChileRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to make sure the ipad is going to do what I need it to do.
We are taking an extended vacation, and need to travel lite. Our main concern is regarding our photos. There does not appear to be much info out there about the photo capabilities, that said, we have a couple iPhone 3g's and an iMac. We have a big ol' pc laptop we are trying to avoid bringing,so, let me see what I can find out, while I wait for my car to get fixed!

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ChileRick and welcome to the Ipadforums. As far as photos go, the ipad appears to be a great platform to view them. Currently don't know what programs will work for editing functions. You have two methods of downloading from a camera.

1) Download the camera files to a site such as flicker, then re-download to the ipad.
2) Get the camera accessory dongles that will allow you to download an SD card directly to the Ipad, or by USB that connects from the camera to the USB dongle.

There have been discussions on some of the professional photo forums about what type of compression the ipad programs may do to the photo (bad?), and how most current programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom aren't supported. The processor doesn't have enough power to handle these full programs.

If you just want to download jpgs to the ipad with little or no manipulation, the ipad would probably work fine. We will see in a few weeks after release. If you are using a semi-pro camera and shooting in Raw, you will want to stay with your laptop and then download a lower adjusted jpg to the ipad to share with friends/family.

Longtime professional photographer Michael Reichmann has a great article on what the Ipad means to current photographers, both amateur and pro. Can be read here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/tablet.shtml

All the best!

Last edited:

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site ChileRick! I believe this will be the perfect small device for traveling. Are you looking at this to view photos or transfer photos off a digital camera to?

Trying to make sure the ipad is going to do what I need it to do.
We are taking an extended vacation, and need to travel lite. Our main concern is regarding our photos. There does not appear to be much info out there about the photo capabilities, that said, we have a couple iPhone 3g's and an iMac. We have a big ol' pc laptop we are trying to avoid bringing,so, let me see what I can find out, while I wait for my car to get fixed!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rick welcome here , we also buy Ipad for traveling and based on what i know the Ipad will be the prefect device for that , this not include the other fabulous possibilities

OP
ChileRick

ChileRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hoping to transfer photos from camera, ideally to put in daily albums, to drop into aperture/iphoto once we get home. I would still keep images on sd cards as back-up.
So if the resolution gets reduced, that wouldn't be so good. Plus the wife won't have to tot around a months worth of books

Most reactions

Latest posts