What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Reader vs. Amazon Reader, Apple Reader etc.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Has anyone else tried out the Google App for ebook obtaining and reading? I have and find it much like the Amazon Reader and Apple Reader. [big surprise :D]. I haven't tried the nook reader to compare but would expect it to be in the same class.

One thing I haven't tried is epub format.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded it and am still "kicking the tires", but so far it seems "clunky" and hard to navigate since it obviously uses the Safari browser instead of being a stand alone app. I can just go to books.google.com on any browser and not have to work within their so-called app at all.

Also, I downloaded a free book on my iPad and then downloaded another free book on my computer using the same account and as the old saying goes, "...and never the twain shall meet!" Unless I am missing something, what shows up on my iPad does not show up on my computer and vice versa. At least with the Kindle system, once I buy something through Amazon, it is available on all registered devices.
(EDIT: My bad. I was on 2 different Google accounts which is why they weren't "in sync".)

Although the Kindle app itself is only an adequate reader, the overall "Kindle experience" of content selection plus being able to sync books across multiple platforms still makes it the overall winner in my book! (no pun intended)

EDIT: So far, there is nothing about the Google eBook system that makes me want to change my buying and reading habits.

Last edited:

appsmonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appsmonkey.com
Thus far, the Google Books app for the iPad is still a very bare bones ereader: it lets you read, search, navigate, and adjust the view settings, but lacks features offered by both iBooks and Kindle such as adding notes and bookmarks, highlighting text, and dictionary lookups. This may or may not be a deal breaker for you. Overall, as an ereader app, both Amazon's Kindle and iBooks deliver much more than Google Books.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dled it and tried it but I'll stick with my Nook and Kindle apps right now. I also have Stanza and Ibooks and don't think Google books is my cup of tea yet. I esp like to read in landscape and that ien't possible with Google--- among other issues.

hapishap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's too bad that in this whole tread there is only one passing mention of Stanza, which I think is one of the best reader around.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Stanza which I use for some free books and a couple of epubs I have. Otherwise I prefer Kindle, though I sold my DX to use the iPad App.

Most reactions

Latest posts