What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader help

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my ipad 2 today and have literally spent 2 hours just trying to figure out Goodreader. I'm no genius but I'm no dummy either and I've been thru the manual and the web trying to figure out a few things.
Searching will find nothing. I can't even figure out how to use it to read books.
Ibooks works fine but I assumed that if you added an ereader app, any one, any one of them would be able to find the books and display them.

Yep, I gotta lot to learn in the coming weeks. But, can someone give a dude a hand and tell me the simple way to find my books in goodreader?
Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unlike a computer, the iPad does not have a central file system that all apps can access. Intead (with very few exceptions) each app has it's own file space. This sandboxing of apps makes the iPad very secure, but it takes a bit to get used to. It is a shift from the file centric way computers work now days. Instead it is app centric. Instead of thinking about files to open in apps, you need to think of apps that use the files.

Some apps will let you send files to other apps. This is accomplished with the Share icon (looks like a box with a curved arrow comming out of it) and the Open In command. All apps that are compatible with a give file type (up to ten anyway) will show up in the Open In dialog.

However iBooks does not offer a share options. That is because it is designed to read protected books fromt the iBooks store. It will import and read other books, but it was never meant to be a central repository for other book readers.

GoodReader is far more versatile. Once you load a file into it you will be able to send it to many othe apps, even iBooks. GoodReader is also compatible with many files types, and can recieve those files from other apps, if they have a share option.

The GoodReader site provides a decent help section that should get you started using it. I'll provide the link here, but if you lose it you can always go to it's page on the App Store and get the developer's home page and support site. This is an excellent app with many uses, so even if it disappoints you as a reader don't worry. It will pay for itself latter. Some of us think of it as the Swiss Army Knife of apps.

goodiware.com :: products :: GoodReader

OP
Beerman

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. After sleeping on it, I awoke fresh and did find I could drag my ebooks over to the Goodreader app in itunes. That's part 1.
Part 2 is learning all that Goodreader offers. I'm still having trouble finding files that are in iBooks thru Goodreader. But, it's a work in progress. It doesn't seem to very intuitive at the moment but I'm sure as I learn it, it will become simple.

Most reactions

Latest posts