What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail wont stay closed

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched for days about this and can't find anything. Has anyone had an issue where the gmail app won't stay closed? I've uninstalled and reinstalled and after a few days I can't keep it in the background or fully closed. I didn't want to merge he account with the iOS mail app since deleting emails in a gmail exchange account is a pain.

A) is the anyone who has a solution to the issue. It's the only app that does this

B) is there another app that has gmail push and proper mail deletion? I know about sparrow and I think I saw a jailbreak to get push notifications but dont wanna buy it before knowing its going to work.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is weird. I actually use the stock mail app for Gmail, push and delete as you described. The trick is to not use the Gmail default, but to use Exchange set-up instead. You can Google the instructions as Gmail has a walk through for it to make sure the Gmail server settings are correct before setting up on the iPad.

OP
W

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dhewson, I have it set to exchange but its a work account that's shared between multiple people so when you delete an item it just goes to the all mail folder. At that point I've gotta go move it to trash, kinda annoying.

Twerppoet, that's really all there is to explain. And I agree, no app should open by itself but it does which is why I posted the question. As soon as I touch the screen gmail opens even if I've cleared it out of the app switcher.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wingzfan61 said:
Dhewson, I have it set to exchange but its a work account that's shared between multiple people so when you delete an item it just goes to the all mail folder. At that point I've gotta go move it to trash, kinda annoying.

I'm wondering if that is a function of Gmail rather than the Exchange set-up? I've never heard of a shared email account, so to me it sounds like that is the problem with that issue. I can understand if the sharing is to do with Google Calendar, but for the email side of things just weird. I'm out of ideas for that. Hopefully someone has some better ideas.

OP
W

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's known that If you set gmail as exchange when you delete an email it doesn't actually delete it, instead it goes to all mail. That's the downside to an exchange account. Nothing to do with being shared.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wingzfan61 said:
It's known that If you set gmail as exchange when you delete an email it doesn't actually delete it, instead it goes to all mail. That's the downside to an exchange account. Nothing to do with being shared.

Weird, because I have my gmail account set-up through exchange and have no issues deleting an email. Had never heard that.

EDIT: just tested it on purpose - emails are fully deleted.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
wingzfan61 said:
Twerppoet, that's really all there is to explain. And I agree, no app should open by itself but it does which is why I posted the question. As soon as I touch the screen gmail opens even if I've cleared it out of the app switcher.

Are you jailbroken? Other than a hardware problem with the screen I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that would cause that.

OP
W

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Weird, because I have my gmail account set-up through exchange and have no issues deleting an email. Had never heard that.

EDIT: just tested it on purpose - emails are fully deleted.

You have gmail set as exchange and when you delete an email from your inbox it goes to your trash and stays there? I'd double check that cuz if so your the only person in he world to achieve that. Google exchange can't label mail proper to delete it like that. Take a mail, slide on it and hit delete. Go to the trash folder and watch it disappear. It'll be in your all mail folder.

twerppoet said:
Are you jailbroken? Other than a hardware problem with the screen I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that would cause that.

Yeah jail broken. I thought about an issue with the screen or the case I have it in falsely pressing the app so I moved it and put others in its place and only gmail opens. It's the weirdest thing cuz I've got the same jailbreak tweaks on my 4s and don't have any issues.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wingzfan61 said:
You have gmail set as exchange and when you delete an email from your inbox it goes to your trash and stays there? I'd double check that cuz if so your the only person in he world to achieve that. Google exchange can't label mail proper to delete it like that. Take a mail, slide on it and hit delete. Go to the trash folder and watch it disappear. It'll be in your all mail.

If I select the email, I just hit the trash can at the top (in landscape), and it brings down a red Delete button, click that and it's gone. Works the same for my Gmail set up with the Exchange, as with my work email, which is an Exchange server as well. Maybe something is hinky with the fact it is jailbroken.

Actually, the symptoms you describe sounds like the way it works using the default Gmail set-up in the stock app, as a friend of mine has his set-up that way instead of Exchange settings.

Attachments

• image-4214256326.jpg
    image-4214256326.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
OP
W

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I just setup 3 different gmail accounts on 3 devices, 2 iPhones and a different iPad. One iPhone is a 4 jailbroken, another a 4s not jailbroken and an iPad 3. On none of those devices does the mail delete when set up as an exchange gmail and on none of them does a dropdown appear to delete mail. When I click the trash can the mail goes to the trash but as soon as I open the trash it automatically goes to the "all mail" folder. All 3 devices and my iPad 2 are on 5.1.1. Mind sharing how you set your gmail exchange up? I did this:

image-1394452399.jpg

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those settings look the same. Now I never go to Trash, so I quickly looked at it. I saw the emails I had deleted earlier for a few seconds, then they disappeared. So I guess I am just not jumping to trash immediately to remove the newly deleted files, but it seems they get automatically deleted at some point. I would say if you just do the original delete, don't worry about Trash because it will clear itself.

Quite possibly a setting on the gmail server side is doing that automatically for me.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gmail settings under Forwarding and POP/IMAP:

In the IMAP Access section, "Status: Enable IMAP is On"

"When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted: Auto-Expunge on - immediately update the server"

Basically the default when IMAP is enabled.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
wingzfan61 said:
Yeah jail broken. I thought about an issue with the screen or the case I have it in falsely pressing the app so I moved it and put others in its place and only gmail opens. It's the weirdest thing cuz I've got the same jailbreak tweaks on my 4s and don't have any issues.

There are slight differences between the devices, even running the same version of iOS. All I can suggest is you try turning off various tweaks, especially the ones you may have fiddled with when the problem first appeared.

I don't jailbreak myself, so I can't offer any ideas on what tweaks might be responsible.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish that the email application that comes installed on the iPad had an option to delete/move all emails all at once instead one at a time. I used MAIL.COM but when I reply using that application the application shuts itself down. I even rebooted my iPad and that did not make any difference.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Most reactions

Latest posts