What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail wont stay closed

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
I wish that the email application that comes installed on the iPad had an option to delete/move all emails all at once instead one at a time. I used MAIL.COM but when I reply using that application the application shuts itself down. I even rebooted my iPad and that did not make any difference.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

You can. In the inbox view (landscape) click Edit above the list of emails and a circle appears next to every email. Tap the ones you want to delete, then tap the red Delete button.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
You can. In the inbox view (landscape) click Edit above the list of emails and a circle appears next to every email. Tap the ones you want to delete, then tap the red Delete button.

Well Mail.Com has an option on the top of the edit menu that lets one select all email without having to tap on the ones that I want to delete.

The application that comes needs a delete all button.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
Well Mail.Com has an option on the top of the edit menu that lets one select all email without having to tap on the ones that I want to delete.

The application that comes needs a delete all button.

That's a very scary option to have, delete all. Most people would never want to delete every email, there is always something you need to keep. Gmail via browser allows you to select all, then deletes, but it is only the ones on the page, not the entire inbox. Needing to select the emails you want to delete is a safety net. I could see people accidentally deleting all emails then complaining that all their emails have disappeared. There is not going back once you delete them!

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
That's a very scary option to have, delete all. Most people would never want to delete every email, there is always something you need to keep. Gmail via browser allows you to select all, then deletes, but it is only the ones on the page, not the entire inbox. Needing to select the emails you want to delete is a safety net. I could see people accidentally deleting all emails then complaining that all their emails have disappeared. There is not going back once you delete them!

I still have the emails on the email application that ones with iPad. So I do not need all the emails with other email applications like MAIL.COM.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
I still have the emails on the email application that ones with iPad. So I do not need all the emails with other email applications like MAIL.COM.

I don't follow at all. :)

If you're running two email apps for the one email account, that gets scary. Use one or the other. If you delete from one, then it should also delete from the other, depending on the set-up.

OP
W

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think i got it figured out. It seems the "Quasar" tweak from cydia was conflicting with some apps. I removed it a couple days ago and havent had the issue since.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I don't follow at all. :)

If you're running two email apps for the one email account, that gets scary. Use one or the other. If you delete from one, then it should also delete from the other, depending on the set-up.
Only deletes the emails from that one application.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
Only deletes the emails from that one application.

Ok, let's step back a second. Please list the third party email app being used. Next, what is your email provider? You mention mail.com, is that the provider or the app (or neither)? In the default mail app, what method of connection/set-up did you use? It is possible you are using a pop3 connection that downloads the emails from the server, but stores a local copy in each app rather than mirroring the server like IMAP or Exchange set-ups. That would give you the deleted from one and not the other scenario.

At this point specific information is required, and may need some googling based on the answers.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Ok, let's step back a second. Please list the third party email app being used. Next, what is your email provider? You mention mail.com, is that the provider or the app (or neither)? In the default mail app, what method of connection/set-up did you use? It is possible you are using a pop3 connection that downloads the emails from the server, but stores a local copy in each app rather than mirroring the server like IMAP or Exchange set-ups. That would give you the deleted from one and not the other scenario.

At this point specific information is required, and may need some googling based on the answers.

The application is called MAIL.COM. Search for that in the application store.

GMAIL is the provider.

I use WIFI.

Yes the email is set up as a POP 3 format on my home computer. Then I put the information into the GMAIL choice in the IPads/iPhones settings.

Using MAIL.COM I then there is an option there called mail collector. That uses the name and password from my regular email account to get email from that account.

Yes on my home computer, iPad/iPhone as well.

Yes when I delete an email from any one of these places the email is still available on the other applications.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
The application is called MAIL.COM. Search for that in the application store.

GMAIL is the provider.

I use WIFI.

Yes the email is set up as a POP 3 format on my home computer. Then I put the information into the GMAIL choice in the IPads/iPhones settings.

Using MAIL.COM I then there is an option there called mail collector. That uses the name and password from my regular email account to get email from that account.

Yes on my home computer, iPad/iPhone as well.

Yes when I delete an email from any one of these places the email is still available on the other applications.

That is a lot clearer, thank you. It does confirm some of my thoughts. Wherever an app Is using pop3 to connect to the server, it is making a copy in that application, hence if it gets deleted from the server, it will remain in the app. Whenever syncing 1 email account to multiple devices/apps, you need to use IMAP or Exchange set-up and cannot mix in pop3 because the result will be what you are experiencing.

The goal is to get each client/device to only mirror the gmail server, then when a change is made, all devices and client apps are updated as well.

I would get rid of the Mail.com app, unless you have a Mail.com email address as well. Better to stick with one email client per device, whether the stock app or the Gmail app. By default, both apps should connect in a way that will mirror the server.

For your PC, I cannot recommend a program for you, as I access my Gmail via web browser only. But whatever program you use, you need to not use pop3 option, unless you want to keep copies of emails on our computer, after being deleted from the server.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like to keep MAIL.COM because I can delete all the new emails all at once instead of having to delete them one at a time.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
I like to keep MAIL.COM because I can delete all the new emails all at once instead of having to delete them one at a time.

I understand, there may be other apps that will do that and not cause the issues your having. It sounds like that Mail Collector could be purely pulling down the emails pop3 style, hence when you delete them, it is not updating to the server.

I guess a little research and some suggestions from other users in regards to bulk deleting of emails is required.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I understand, there may be other apps that will do that and not cause the issues your having. It sounds like that Mail Collector could be purely pulling down the emails pop3 style, hence when you delete them, it is not updating to the server.

I guess a little research and some suggestions from other users in regards to bulk deleting of emails is required.

As long as I can delete all at once by using a delete all button I am happy.

Most reactions