What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free wordprocessing app for ipad

emkwan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm based over here in the UK. Unfortunatley as yet I'm unable to purchase iWork-pages to be exact. (only avaliable in the US currently).

Can any of you suggest a good FREE ipad app for word processing?! Or a cheap UK available one?!

many thanks.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Since no one responded I will give you what little knowledge I nave....

No free app for wordprocessing. If I were buying at this point, I would get Office2 HD. It is $7.99 and though not perfect seems to be improving. I would get it over Pages, but that is just IMHO. And since Pages is not available to you, it may very well be your best option.

Many like Office2 HD better because it will export in Word (doc) format, and Pages does not.

Last edited:

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm based over here in the UK. Unfortunatley as yet I'm unable to purchase iWork-pages to be exact. (only avaliable in the US currently).

Either wait, or get yourself an US-Store account. If you need assistance for setting up, send me a quick pm.

Greetings from Germany.

Sprank1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would just add my vote to Office 2 HD. It's a great program really and does word processing well. It also works well with spreadsheets and does a good job with them.

I have Pages and Office 2 HD and find myself using Office 2 HD almost all the time. The best part for me is the integration of Google Docs in Office 2 HD and the fact that it works with MS Office documents.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to raise this thread from the grave, but I found it in a google search, and I was wondering if any better options have cropped up in the past year. I use Abiword and OpenOffice on my PCs and Macs because I'm cheap. Free > Pay. :)

Reaction score
antonio107 said:
Sorry to raise this thread from the grave, but I found it in a google search, and I was wondering if any better options have cropped up in the past year. I use Abiword and OpenOffice on my PCs and Macs because I'm cheap. Free > Pay. :)

Well, the thing is, even paid office apps are not up to par with free desktop office programs. Google Docs offers more functionality than any paid iPad office app.

So if you want a free iPad office app, it will be basic, really basic:

PlainText

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why can't you purchase Pages and Numbers?

Well, I haven't paid for a word processor since Corel Wordperfect 6, and by "paid," I mean I paid $5 CAD for the stack of a dozen floppy disks or so at a bankruptcy sale at a big office building back maybe, 15? 20 years ago? I've gotten by fine on my Tandy, Aptiva, Dell, Mac mini, and my Windows 7 HP tower with a combination of Open Office and MS-works. I understand that the ipad is not a "real computer" in the sense of a macbook or netbook, but I use a keyboard on mine, so for all intents and purposes it comes close to replacing one.

But really, were it just "pay ten bucks and you'll have a fully compatible office suite," I would just bite the bullet. But of course it's not that easy: I'm hearing too many rumors/grumblings about how it's not really compatible with MS-Word and there's formatting errors, etc. I wouldn't be doing anything too too fancy on this thing, but I need to be able to at least make sure whatever I type in will come out normal when I export it to a PC!

Would anyone care to dispel this rumor and tell me that Pages makes really decent text files with full glowing footnotes and justified paragraphs and automatically formatted em-dashes? And it transfers seamlessly into MS-Office? :)

Reaction score
antonio107 said:
Would anyone care to dispel this rumor and tell me that Pages makes really decent text files with full glowing footnotes and justified paragraphs and automatically formatted em-dashes? And it transfers seamlessly into MS-Office? :)

There are compatibility issues, but they usually occur when importing word documents onto the iPad. Documents created on the iPad should be fully compatible with the full pc office versions.

But Pages does not let you create footnotes. There is a workaround, but it's not too useful, as it involves copying footnotes from an existing document into the new document.

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MICROSOFT OFFICE QUESTION
Is there an app that would allow me to change/modify office documents?

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:

There are compatibility issues, but they usually occur when importing word documents onto the iPad. Documents created on the iPad should be fully compatible with the full pc office versions.

But Pages does not let you create footnotes. There is a workaround, but it's not too useful, as it involves copying footnotes from an existing document into the new document.

Hmm...well, as someone who wants to use my Ipad to write term papers (and yes, that's what I'm planning on doing with my Zagg keyboard combo), might anyone know of a different word processor that DOES make good footnotes?

Reaction score
antonio107 said:
Hmm...well, as someone who wants to use my Ipad to write term papers (and yes, that's what I'm planning on doing with my Zagg keyboard combo), might anyone know of a different word processor that DOES make good footnotes?

Not on the iPad, I am afraid.

Google docs does footnotes though :)

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:

Not on the iPad, I am afraid.

Google docs does footnotes though :)

When I've used it, it has weird looking blue hyperlink style footnotes. :(

Also, does it work in the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts