What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free wordprocessing app for ipad

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this is only available in the US and it's also US $9.99 but Documents to Go allows you to create Word documents. It's what I use. It's hardly free like you are seeking, but I got it for different reasons and I am a historic user of it from my Palm OS days. There is a more expensive premium edition too that I think allows stuff with drop box, but I don't need that-I have the regular one. But it is a word processing program so just figured I would mention it as an option. But no, it's not free though. For the record, I use Open Office on my MAC!! Would be great if it had a counterpart on iOS, right??

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this is only available in the US and it's also US $9.99 but Documents to Go allows you to create Word documents. It's what I use. It's hardly free like you are seeking, but I got it for different reasons and I am a historic user of it from my Palm OS days. There is a more expensive premium edition too that I think allows stuff with drop box, but I don't need that-I have the regular one. But it is a word processing program so just figured I would mention it as an option. But no, it's not free though. For the record, I use Open Office on my MAC!! Would be great if it had a counterpart on iOS, right??

So, as per my other demands...how are the footnotes? And does it swap back and forth from Open Office OK? :D

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had to insert footnotes, but it is my understanding that it does have that function. (you could write to Data Viz support to inquire)
I haven't come across any huge compatibility issues with Open Office as of yet either, but I preface that with the fact that I'm not an everyday writer either.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have quick office HD, and I'm disappointed by the footnote formatting thus far!

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
None of paid iPad office apps offer 100% compatibility with Microsoft Office files!

If you need full Office support, you better ditch iPad and get a Windows netbook/laptop.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of paid iPad office apps offer 100% compatibility with Microsoft Office files!

If you need full Office support, you better ditch iPad and get a Windows netbook/laptop.

I don't understand why it can't though. There are no technological limitations preventing it. It was made abundantly clear to me when I got this damn thing that there was zero chance of native flash and JavaScript. But no one told me that the office apps were going to be so sucky, even IF I pay for it. What a gyp.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do i get a feeling that antonio is a hater and a troll and his reason for joining and posting in our forum is to flame things. I mean look at his avatar, i rest my case

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do i get a feeling that antonio is a hater and a troll and his reason for joining and posting in our forum is to flame things. I mean look at his avatar, i rest my case

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

The avatar *was* for gentle prodding, I make no secret of that. :D

I'm not a Mac Fanboy, never have been. I use a PC and love my BB Bold. I used to own a Mac Mini but I couldn't be bothered to relearn how to do things in tomcat, or whatever the heck the OS was called. But I do own an IPad and an IPod, because they're the best appliances for what they do. The Xoom and Playbook were just plain awful when I tried using them at Future Shop/Best Buy. ipad 2 is just so slick, and fast, and works great. And the Mac store by my house has all the Iworks stuff front and centre when you enter, showing you that, hey, this isn't just a toy. You can do serious work on it too!

And i'm oh so so so close to being there. I just need to properly format files, and swap them back and forth from the PC which is connected to the printer. I'm not asking for watermarks and printer support for triangular paper and an optical drive that walks on water. I just want footnotes that will go forward and backward, without screwing up a term paper from one device to the other. :(

If that makes me a troll, then so be it!

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure iWork Pages is not available in UK? I am from India and its available here

Kapil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I will look into "Documents to Go." I don't really need to do alot with it, just be able to open documents on the go and make corrections (and save) if necessary. Thanks!

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are no technological limitations preventing it

Not sure if I agree with this. Over the years, desktop/laptop computers have leaped in big steps. Microsoft Word in computers runs with 3-4 GB of RAM.

In the tiny iPad memory and slower processor, it may be difficult to achieve the power of proper computer.

Huge Excel files are very much memory hogs. iPad will crash in that level of number crunching.

iPad is more like a toy rather than a serious business computer. Many people don't understand this limitation and get frustrated when they try to use it as replacement for computer. Just accept it, Apple will never make iPad true replacement for computer because it will then make serious dent in their revenue by affecting their Mac sales.

owsc2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hardware is only part of the story. Even on PC I never come across a third party office suite that can open all MS documents without problem. Perhaps it's time to get rid of MS?

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hardware is only part of the story. Even on PC I never come across a third party office suite that can open all MS documents without problem. Perhaps it's time to get rid of MS?

I have a dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7. I use open office and Abiword. I only say MS-word because dealing with the printers/lab computers at my university forced me to save everything as .doc or .docx.

There are no technological limitations preventing it

Not sure if I agree with this. Over the years, desktop/laptop computers have leaped in big steps. Microsoft Word in computers runs with 3-4 GB of RAM.

In the tiny iPad memory and slower processor, it may be difficult to achieve the power of proper computer.

Huge Excel files are very much memory hogs. iPad will crash in that level of number crunching.

iPad is more like a toy rather than a serious business computer. Many people don't understand this limitation and get frustrated when they try to use it as replacement for computer. Just accept it, Apple will never make iPad true replacement for computer because it will then make serious dent in their revenue by affecting their Mac sales.

I hear you. And this is definitely part of it, no question, but re: my footnote dilemma...

Googling "iPad footnotes" brings me to another thread on this site, that showed me that Pages DOES, in fact, read footnotes. I bought pages, and I can read (and copy) footnotes from my thesis, and then use the clipboard to insert as many as I want in another document. But there's no native Insert--->Footnotes option in the program itself. This is most definitely not a hardware limitation, but something I sincerely hope Apple resolves in a software update. If I was complaining that I can't run databases in Excel or something like that, then yeah...I concede that this is not a tower! But with little tweaks like this, my IPad can do 99.9% of what I use a PC for.

Most reactions

Latest posts