What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free books

losttoagirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone know how to get free books on here to read I have the kindle app but don't know how to get books on there

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazon says it updates this freebie list hourly:

Amazon Best Sellers: best Kindle Store

There are plenty of other free books that don't make the list, of course.

You "buy" free books the same way you buy books that aren't free:

Go to Amazon website, sign in under your account, buy book and send to whatever device you want. Then open the Kindle app on your device and download the book(s). You must be logged on under the same account on your Kindle app as the one you used to buy the book.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is anyone know how to get free books on here to read I have the kindle app but don't know how to get books on there

Hi Losttogirl - not sure 'what' types of books may be of interest to you? But Project Gutenberg has thousands of e-book offerings, some of which may be of interest? Also, OverDrive has an app for the iPad that will allow you to download e-books from your local library (I've found the service irritating, i.e. limited & delayed availability, wait lists, and limited time out) - worth an initial try, though. Finally, just 'google' free e-books for more hits - good luck! :)

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
since you're using Kindle app for ipad perhaps can you show me the search function because i cannot find it on mine thus i have to go back using ibook again because it has search function :(

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
since you're using Kindle app for ipad perhaps can you show me the search function because i cannot find it on mine thus i have to go back using ibook again because it has search function :(

The search function is on the upper left, indicated by a magnifying glass icon, both in a book and in your library.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mrcupu said:

You can't purchase books, free or otherwise, directly from the Kindle app. You can do it from a special section of their website.
Here it is.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp/tos.html#stos-bookmark
Once you sign in, you are on a page where you can order books, audio books, etc.. I have bookmarked it on my home screen and placed the bookmark next to my Kindle app.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't purchase books, free or otherwise, directly from the Kindle app

I never noticed that limitation before, kind silly limits if you ask me. I installed and used the Amazon app (blue with a white shopping cart on it) to purchase kindle books now. Amazon really needs to add that feature to the kindle app.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
I never noticed that limitation before, kind silly limits if you ask me. I installed and used the Amazon app (blue with a white shopping cart on it) to purchase kindle books now. Amazon really needs to add that feature to the kindle app.

The reason it's not on the Kindle app is that Apple takes a cut of all in-app purchases. Amazon doesn't want to give Apple any more money than they have to.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason it's not on the Kindle app is that Apple takes a cut of all in-app purchases. Amazon doesn't want to give Apple any more money than they have to.

Well, just my opinion, but I feel Apple deserves a cut because Apple is bringing more customers to Amazon via the iOS Kindle app.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, just my opinion, but I feel Apple deserves a cut because Apple is bringing more customers to Amazon via the iOS Kindle app.

Apple wanted Amazon to pay 30 percent, which is more than Amazon makes on books. Instead of negotiating something reasonable, the two decided to go it separately, to customers' inconvenience.

I buy via the Amazon website, which I have bookmarked on iDevices, or more often, on my Kindle Fires or my Android phablet, which offers the Kindle app with the store baked in. I don't know whether Google charges Amazon a cut, but apparently it's a workable deal for both and makes for convenience for customers with Android devices.

I'll never buy books from iTunes, because they can be read only on iDevices. You buy from iTunes, you're stuck accessing your books from iDevices, or walking away from your books if you switch to non-Apple devices. With Kindle, your books go where you decide.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple wanted Amazon to pay 30 percent, which is more than Amazon makes on books. Instead of negotiating something reasonable, the two decided to go it separately, to customers' inconvenience.

I buy via the Amazon website, which I have bookmarked on iDevices, or more often, on my Kindle Fires or my Android phablet, which offers the Kindle app with the store baked in. I don't know whether Google charges Amazon a cut, but apparently it's a workable deal for both and makes for convenience for customers with Android devices.

I'll never buy books from iTunes, because they can be read only on iDevices. You buy from iTunes, you're stuck accessing your books from iDevices, or walking away from your books if you switch to non-Apple devices. With Kindle, your books go where you decide.

Very good points. And I think 30% is a bit much. I didn't know it was that high.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The search function is on the upper left, indicated by a magnifying glass icon, both in a book and in your library.

thanks for the tip but somehow the in-book search function in the kindle only shows on Welcome To Kindle book while my other book The Zombie Survival Guide doesnt has search function in it only Home Table of Contents and Select Action Print on the upper left side i wonder why :eek:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the tip but somehow the in-book search function in the kindle only shows on Welcome To Kindle book while my other book The Zombie Survival Guide doesnt has search function in it only Home Table of Contents and Select Action Print on the upper left side i wonder why :eek:

Can you post a screen shot?

Most reactions