What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Forms" to fill out on the iPad - PDF or Word forms

larasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post (to any forum, anywhere - seriously!) so apologies if I have bad etiquette or posted on the wrong forum. I did search first, and found what I needed, but it was from early 2010. I figure it's okay to post similar question again, since 24months old is ancient. :)

Issue: I would like to be able to view and fill out a document (could be PDF or a form I have already created in MS Word) on my iPad 2. I need to be able to either 1) send the form to a printer for scanning/uploading to a secure website without saving the document OR 2) save the form as a document on the iPad then upload to the secure website.

Background:
I've already spent about 5 hours creating an MS Word form. The form I made isn't pretty or flashy, but it has the three kinds of forms I need, which are 1) drop-down list menu, 2) check box options, and 3) text fields (for my witty comments!). It's very functional, and customized to exactly what I need.
Possible Solutions I've Generated (plz keep in mind I'm new to iPad as well as being new to forms, so NONE of these may work)
1. Use either QuickOffice or Documents to Go to utilize the form I've already created. Then, I could upload that document to the website.
2. Create an actual PDF with Nuance or Acrobat Pro on my PC, then use PDF Expert to fill in the form on the iPad. (This would be much more expensive for me, because I don't have Acrobat Pro or Nuance).

Questions:
1. Do you have another solution I've not yet thought of?
2. Do you have any feedback on the solutions I've thought of?
3. Will QuickOffice or Documents to Go "roundtrip" back to MS Word?
4. Thoughts on Acrobat Pro or Nuance? Are there others/better ones?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Lara

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lara-welcome to the forum!
I am joining your thread because I am curious to see what answers you will get.

avandev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am also new and would like to know what I need to be able to download and type into a word form? Did you ever figure it out?

OP
L

larasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't figured anything out definitively as yet, however I noticed several people asking if Pages has the same functions as Numbers (these are part of the iOffice, I think). The functions people are looking for seem to be check box and drop-down list. So, I may well be able to make a form with that instead. Again, I'm still hopeful I can find a way to translate the form I already created. Hope we'll get some ideas!

deckhardt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lara,
Use OpenOffice.org to create your PDF forms it is free. Just download the PDF addin

Dave

TH2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lara

With the second solution you suggested...

"2. Create an actual PDF with Nuance or Acrobat Pro on my PC, then use PDF Expert to fill in the form on the iPad. (This would be much more expensive for me, because I don't have Acrobat Pro or Nuance)." ....

You said you were using Ms Word to create... you can now create PDFs directly from MS Word (2007) In Save As... Just change file type to PDF in the drop down list.

Don't know if this helps....

Tricia

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Hi Lara,
I use formconnect app, where you have to create the form (whichever and however you like) and then create an intnal Database. Lateron you can export the filled out form in different formats and email/ upload them, however, the forms (and entires) are saved on your iPad and can be viewed aftwards.
Another app is called forms, which actually uses forms you created in Google Docs - these are even offline available (which I unfortunately just found out).
Quickoffice Pro HD does not really accept the form fields you look for, however QuickOffice Pro Hd is my favorite Word equivalent for the iPad just for writing text and simple fromatting....

Hope this helps!

acuity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lara,

Upon pages and pages of searching, your post describes exactly what I am looking for myself.

As you received numerous ideas, I just wanted to check in and see what route you chose and if you were able to meet your needs for the pdf and ipad combo.

Patrick

Cherilee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using adobe pro x for Mac to make pdf with drop down menu. Transferred the pdf via email and iTunes. Drop down works but will not cue the associated text in text box for drop down option chosen. Can anyone help me?

Most reactions

Latest posts