What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folders

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whilst queueing for iPad a guy was showing me his iPad and how he keeps his apps in his own folders, I have looked but don't seem to be able to make my own folders such as games where I can drop apps in.

Owen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - let's say you have 4 games you want to put into a folder and, for the sake of simplicity, let's say they're on the same screen. Let's call them A, B, C and D

On the screen where you want to make the folder press and hold any icon until they start to 'jiggle' (Apple's word, not mine!). Now touch game A and drag it until it's on top of game B. Let go and a folder will be created there. Now drag game C to that folder and let go. Do the same for game D.

The iPad gives the folder the name of the first game, but if you touch the folder it will pop up an edit box and you can change the name to something like 'Games'

Hope this helps

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
The other way to rearrange apps is by using iTunes. To do this, connect your iPad to the PC, then in iTunes go to the iPad apps tab and arrange the icons on the home screen preview, to create a folder hold an icon above another one. The method Tim described works just fine and is more convenient than going through iTunes, but if you want to organize many apps, try iTunes it will safe you lots of time.

At the end don't forget to synchronize.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just learned a new trick today. You can also use folders in the app dock. I like not having a ton of icons cluttering up the home screen.

Attachments

• image-3949372222.png
    image-3949372222.png
    696.2 KB · Views: 270
  • image-3692038004.png
    image-3692038004.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
That is a very neat trick.

Though not one I will use, as I am not a fan of folders. Opening them always makes me feel, as if I am ripping apart the wallpaper.

@SweetPoison

Simply drag already existent folders into the dock. For some reason icon's already in the dock cannot make a new folder, so they have to be moved to the home screen first.

Last edited:

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I like that! So ~ it is an app that allowed you to do this? Are you JB?

Nope... No jailbreak or app needed. Just create folders by dragging apps on top of each other then drag the folder onto the dock just like it was an app. iPad allows for 6 icons/folders and iPhone/iPod touch allow for 4.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just learned a new trick today. You can also use folders in the app dock. I like not having a ton of icons cluttering up the home screen.

Wow - that is a neat tip - never thought of that!! I learn something new every day in this Forum.

Thanks for sharing that.

Tim
Scotland

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I like that! So ~ it is an app that allowed you to do this? Are you JB?

Nope... No jailbreak or app needed. Just create folders by dragging apps on top of each other then drag the folder onto the dock just like it was an app. iPad allows for 6 icons/folders and iPhone/iPod touch allow for 4.

I know how to make folders, but how did you get them all on the bottom of the page? I think I tried once to do that and it would not let me...

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I know how to make folders, but how did you get them all on the bottom of the page? I think I tried once to do that and it would not let me...

I just dragged the folders there and it let me. You will most likely need to remove your existing apps first to make room for the folders. I've had iOS device for 3 years now and I just found out about it from a friend tonight so, I'm certainly not a master.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have around 180 apps, so folders definitely works for me. I have everything on one home screen and is not cluttered looking. Folders makes everything look so much cleaner ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts