FM Transmitter for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by GlenH, Jun 5, 2010.

1. GlenH

GlenH iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to stream my music from my iPad through my car radio. Has anyone found such a device for their iPad? Can we use something that is made for the iPod Touch?
    Thanks,
    GlenH
  2. heather

heather iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ohh that would surely be kool!
  3. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The FM transmitter I bought for my iPod touch should work fine. I plugs in to the headphone jack...

I've never tried it because using the FM transmitter sucks in my area. Too much signal wash from radio stations. I ended up buying a cheap cassette tape adapter (which also plugs into the headphone jack) for my touch. The sound quality is MUCH better than the FM transmitter and cost about a third as much.
  4. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Another option that I like better is a Bluetooth to Aux adapter.

You connect the bluetooth adapter into your cars Auxiliary port, then the ipad sends the audio to your stereo wirelessly via bluetooth.

another interesting but pricey option is the "ibiza iFIPO Bluetooth Audio receiver" This is a small device that connects to anything you have with an ipod dock connection and recieves bluetooth audio and plays it to the device its connected to. So if you have a home stereo with ipod connector or a car with ipod connector you can use this to send the audio via bluetooth and even allow you to change songs and stuff via car stereo or steering wheel if the car supports that.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I Just use the generic one I originally bought for my iPod nano and it works fine with all the "I" devices i've tried. Only drawback is the short cable it has and while I can stuff the iPod in the ashtray, in use the Pad sloshes about on the passenger seat. Need to find a safer anchorage if I use it in ernest.
  6. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +481 / 0
    I have installed a parrot system which is direct connect for iPhone hands free etc however it also offers blue tooth to connect
    I connected the iPad and boom. Avitar full sound through out the car
    Cost for kit Aussie is 550 installed will work with other mobiles plus iPad try parrot.com for details
  7. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Both my 1998 Toyota Sienna minivan and 1999 Jeep Cherokee came with AM/FM/Cassette players. So I was at Wal-Mart one day and they had these Dual AM/FM radios for $40! There is no CD player (that one costs $50!), but it does have an "AUX" port and a USB jack that you can use for powering your iPod. They sound great!
  8. MikesTooLz

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    they have cassette to headphone jack adapters as well.
  9. y2kgtp

y2kgtp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have gone threw FM transmitters and cassette adapters (Wife's van) and all sound like crap. I gave up and bought both of us new JVC headunits that have iPod\USB inputs on them. Now I can control my iPod from the head unit itself.

(but this does not work with iPads and most aftermarket head units, I have read)
  10. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some FM transmitters allow you to program the frequency to use. I bought a Griffin one that allows you to switch it use a European FM station range (which is not used by any station in the US). The clarity is much much better since no station can come near that frequency.

I found out about it reading reviews on Amazon.

Edit: It's the Griffin iTrip and when you set it to European mode, it lets you go down to the 87.x range. But your car has to be able to tune down that low.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  11. Linkage

Linkage iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found that my iPods transmitter did no work at all on the iPad so i went and forked out for a bluetooth one, which works great, just not as cheap :(
  12. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    This thread gave me the idea to try the FM adaptor I bought with my first gen Nano.

iPad said "device not supported. Dismiss."

Oh, well, at least I tried...
  13. MikesTooLz

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    bluetooth to AUX will give you far better quality than the FM transmitters. and there is no need to change channels or look for a station that works in the area your at.

FM transmitters tent to work and then cut out as you drive and other radio station signal levels change.
  14. Mayo7

Mayo7 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This might be a little off topic but i ordered this so i can connect wirelessly to my home speakers:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Solutions-BMR-10-Bluetooth/dp/B0035229EA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278988109&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Bluelink Bluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics[/ame]

I hope it works out well.
  15. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Mayo7 that looks like a neat adapter. I was also looking at the Belkin F8Z492

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492tt-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B003ICW4LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279016810&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics[/ame]

I am not looking for something for home use, but in my car. I have an older car (1991) and it has a very nice sound system with a cassette player, but I really don't to mess with one of those cassette adapters. I also want to keep the original radio in the car. This Belkin unit comes with a "wal wart" power supply, but I am sure I can get something to convert 12 volts into whatever this thing requires.

Now all I need is a good set of amplified speakers in one box. I know I can buy a separate amp and speakers, but I also did not plan on re-engineering my whole sound system.

The search continues...
  16. Mayo7

Mayo7 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Did you look at the blubridge made by miccus? It's compact and runs on its built in rechargable battery so it looks ideal for cars. Unless you're looking for a permenant solution.
  17. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Yeah, I saw that one too. My goal is to make something "semi-permanent" by getting a speaker enclosure where I can fit a small amp and the Bluetooth receiver and the circuitry necessary to provide the proper voltage to the components. This would be going in the back of a Corvette so there isn't a whole lot of room. I am not looking for something that will shake the fillings out of my teeth or a 15" sub-woofer, just something where I can hear the music with the targa top off.

[​IMG]
  18. Mayo7

Mayo7 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    well i just got my bluetooth receiver and it works pretty damn well. there is no noticeable degradation of sound quality (to my untrained ears, at least), and the latency is very small. the audio on videos are pretty much in sync.

i realize this has little to do with the original question but just thought i'd share.
  19. fmheroes

fmheroes iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FM transmitters are a good choice for this type of use.

FM transmitters are a good choice for this type of use.

I would like to introduce you a great site where you can find fm transmitter

fmheroes is the name of the site

You can order great fm transmitters from them
  20. Techman

Techman iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah i just have found 1 from German supplier. they also have that in amazon.de.
    seems really cool device. just bought one and i am totally happy and satisfied with it. The item is called Technaxx X4000. you can google it and buy online