Florida Panhandle & Tallahassee

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, May 24, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Pier Fishing in Panama City Beach

In a previous post, some of the fish that could be caught off these Panhandle piers were listed - the pic below is just a composite of a half dozen different types in that list, and I'm sure others may be available, such a Mahi Mahi, Amberjack, & Snapper.

On this trip, I had Cobia, Grouper, Mahi Mahi, Pompano & Snapper - our second night dinner was at Stinky's Fish Camp, about a 10 minute drive from the WaterColor Inn - this place had the largest dinner selection of local fish - the second image below shows their offerings at a different time from our visit - about 5-6 fish were available for us - we shared a dozen Appalachicola Oysters; Susan had the Crawfish Pie, which was delicious; and I had the grilled Red Snapper w/ a shrimp risotto and broccoli rabe - believe for dessert, we shared a blueberry cobbler w/ ice cream. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 2.51.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 3.09.51 PM.png

#51 giradman, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Northwest Florida Airports - Which One to Pick?

Well, I've not added to this thread since the start of the week and see more than 200 additional views - just surprised that no one has 'chimed in' w/ comments, experiences, corrections (hope not!), or recommendations - I'm sure that there are some native Floridians viewing some of my posts?

But, I'm already thinking that Susan & I would like to return to the northwest coastal beaches of Florida, and I was looking at the airport options, which may be useful to others wanting to visit the area w/ a need to fly rather than drive. Quoted below are the 3 larger airports (all are still rather small) that serve the area (Sources are their Wiki articles) - Northwest Florida Beaches & Pensacola Airports are the best options to arrive closer to the coastal destinations; I choose the Tallahassee Airport because I wanted to see the state capital buildings and the state museum - next time, we would fly into one of the other ones (both just a one-stop for us from Greensboro via Atlanta).

Aerial images below of the three airports, again these are relatively small and served by a limited number of carriers - for our trip, we flew on Delta (one plane to Atlanta, under an hour, then one to Tallahassee, just 40 minutes). SO, if others have had experiences w/ these airports that may help others make a selection, then please add a comment or two. Dave :)

P.S. if Pensacola is your destination, then the attractions that I described can not only be enjoyed, but Mobile, Alabama is a short drive on HW 10 w/ many other attractions & some great food (we've been there nearly a half dozen times when Susan's brother practiced psychiatry in Mobile).

TallahasseeAirport.png NWFLAirport.png PensacolaAirport.png NWFLAirportsMap.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Tropical Storm Colin Hits Panhandle Florida!

Tropical Storm Colin crossed the Panhandle and Tallahassee yesterday - seems like a LOT of rain but no major storm surge - hope that the members who may be from Florida will 'chime in' and provide some personal comments on potential damage? Below are just a few pics of the path of the storm and its relationship to the area we just visited - today, the storm is off the Carolina coast and the Outer Banks of North Carolina may be hit - these are fragile barrier islands that can be easily damaged. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 10.12.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 9.00.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 9.00.06 AM.png

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope that those wonderful locations and their residents that you've shown us in this excellent thread were spared too much damage.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    My wish too! :( We drove a lot of that FL north Gulf Coast, and many of the commercial and residential buildings were virtually right on the beaches, and any major storm surge could cause serious damage; hopefully, some of our Floridian members who live in the area will respond. Dave :)

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hurricane Michael - Cat 4 - Coming Ashore at Panama City on the Florida Panhandle

The Florida Panhandle is about to be hit hard w/ a historic Cat 4 hurricane w/ wind speeds possibly to 130+ mph & storm surges up to 12 ft or so in the hardest hit areas - the storm will likely come ashore around Panama City - summary quoted below; first two pics show the eye of the hurricane - on the second image, I've labeled the coastal towns - on our recent trip we toured from Pensacola to Panama Beach and the local state park - did not get to Apalachicola which already has a 4 ft storm surge (the town is less than 20 ft above sea level and could be near completely inundated?).

The remainder of the pics (from the same link below) show the extent of the storm relative to the southeast USA, the predicted storm surge and locations, and finally the projected path of the storm over the next few days - the remnants of the hurricane (likely as a tropical storm or less) will move into the Carolinas - looks like Susan and I will be off the upper edge and likely will get some rain (hopefully not a lot) and wind. We were thinking of returning there next spring, so will await the impact of hurricane - this will be a SAD tremendous loss of property, destruction of those beautiful white sand beaches, but hopefully due to evacuations will not be costly in lives lost. Dave :)

HMichael1.png HMichael2.jpg HMichael3.png HMichael4.png Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 11.43.01 AM.png

7. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The Hurricane Season is getting more and more violent. I hate to see our favorite coastal towns battered.

8. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    We enjoyed that area and had planned to go back in the near future. Hope it survives.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Mexico Beach, Florida Devastated by Landfall of Hurricane Michael

Mexico Beach is a small flat coastal town that lies between Panama City and Apalachicola, and was the site of landfall of Hurricane Michael, as described below in the quote - Michael came in as a near Cat 5 storm w/ winds of 155 mph, setting some historic records. First pics below show location of Mexico Beach and its pre-storm appearance, i.e. small, flat (pretty much @ sea level) and extremely vulnerable to storm surge and winds - just found one pic of the damage produced but imagine that most of the town seriously damaged. Dave :)

P.S. I've not visited Mexico Beach but as mentioned we were planning a return trip to the Panama City area and likely would have driven down that coast into Apalachicola.

MexicoBeach1.png MexicoBeach2.jpg MexicoBeach3.jpg MexicoBeach4.jpg MexicoBeach5.png

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I imagine some whole neighbourhoods were devastated. I hope there were not too many deaths.
    I was online looking for webcams and all the Mexico Beach webcams were offline.