What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florida Panhandle & Tallahassee

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
National Naval Aviation Museum - Must Visit!

The National Naval Aviation Museum is on the grounds of the Pensacola Naval Air Station, and requires gated security checking (driver's licenses were fine for us) - the museum is described below - this is the home of the Navy's renowned Blue Angels - below are 10 pics showing the outside and an aerial view of the museum - there is a newer annex building that can also be seen.

We took a 2-hour 'wonderful' guided tour w/ a 71 y/o former airman officer who flew helicopters in Vietnam - he brought alive Naval aviation from its start and up to the present - highly recommended. The 'gift shop' is large and an iMax theater has multiple shows - we did not have time to see any films, unfortunately.

The following post are some more pics of the aircraft inside the buildings - for a listing of all in the collection, check the link above at the bottom (nearly each item in that list has links for those interested). Dave :)

P.S. the Blue Angels Hall is officially the Blue Angels Atrium just to be precise.

View attachment 71800View attachment 71801View attachment 71802View attachment 71803View attachment 71804View attachment 71805View attachment 71806View attachment 71807View attachment 71808View attachment 71809

National Naval Aviation Museum - Continued!

Just some more pics for those really into this subject - again, the link in the previous post has a listing of all aircraft etc. in the collection w/ their own links. Dave :)
View attachment 71810 View attachment 71811 View attachment 71812 View attachment 71813 View attachment 71814 View attachment 71815 View attachment 71816 View attachment 71817
This I just the kind of museum I like to visit if there's one where I'm visiting. Thanks for these most excellent posts!

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Susan and I have been to Florida dozens of times but never to the geographic area called the Panhandle, basically an area extending east from Tallahassee, the capital of Florida to the western border of the state at Pensacola, near Mobile, Alabama (which we've visited a number of times - Susan's brother used to live there).

The first maps below show northern Florida - three of the arrows (to the left) on the initial map point to the places we stayed and visited; St. Augustine on the east coast, established in 1565, is the oldest European city in the Unitied States - when the Spanish controlled Florida, Pensacola & St. Augustine were the population centers - these towns were the 'capitals' of British West & East Florida during the approximate 20 year period of their era (1763-83) - the Spanish regained control of Florida after the American Revolution but ceded Florida to the United States in 1821; Florida became a state in 1845 - at first, the government alternated meeting in Pensacola & St. Augustine which was basically a 'drag', so in 1824, a point 'half way in-between' was chosen and Tallahassee became the territorial capital and remained so into statehood (see quote below w/ link at the end).

We just returned from a 6-night trip to the Panhandle - we flew into Tallahassee and rented a car, I then drove west (and into the Central Time Zone) to a resort w/i walking distance of Seaside, a popular retirement community. We stayed at the WaterColor Inn (see the map) - the Inn is part of a much larger resort property (best seen on the aerial view below) w/ many condos & houses that are privately owned and/or rented. Our room was excellent (one similar is also shown) w/ a deck view of the Gulf of Mexico - pics below show various parts of the Inn and the dining room. Dave :)

The WaterColor Inn was close to perfection--beach, pool, food, not to mention exceptional staff. It’s not too close to sightseeing venues, mostly for sun worshippers, but it provides a great stay.
View attachment 71742 View attachment 71743 View attachment 71744 View attachment 71745 View attachment 71746 View attachment 71747 View attachment 71748 View attachment 71749 View attachment 71750 View attachment 71751

The WaterColor Inn was close to perfection--beach, pool, food, not to mention exceptional staff. It’s not too close to sightseeing venues, mostly for sun worshippers, but it provides a great stay.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This I just the kind of museum I like to visit if there's one where I'm visiting. Thanks for these most excellent posts!

Hi again Scifan.. - thought that you would enjoy those naval museum posts - the place is special and the links on the Wiki article provide hours of reading for those interested.

I'm still impressed w/ our guide for the tour - probably one of the best guided tours I've ever taken - he had been a 'real' pilot, knew aviation history thoroughly, and had a wonderful comedic flare - we stood by that Japanese Zero (made by Mitsubishi - yes, they are still prominently around - my mini-split HVAC on my porch is made by them and is a wonderful unit) for about 10 minutes while he gave a superb, concise history of the superiority of the Zero early in the war and then its failings later - some of that discussion given below in a quote from a Wiki article on the plane. His discussions of the first war pilots in WW I were similarly well done w/ bits of great humor throughout - Dave :)

In early combat operations, the Zero gained a legendary reputation as a dogfighter, achieving the outstanding kill ratio of 12 to 1, but by mid-1942 a combination of new tactics and the introduction of better equipment enabled the Allied pilots to engage the Zero on generally equal terms. By 1943, inherent design weaknesses and the failure to develop more powerful aircraft engines meant that the Zero became less effective against newer enemy fighters, which possessed greater firepower, armor, and speed, and approached the Zero's maneuverability (Source).

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The inn looks like a very nice place to stay. I assume that oysters are on the menu in the dining room? BTW, have you ever eaten oysters you've collected right off the rocks?
Once we had an “oyster roast” in Myrtle Beach SC, a big rock with steamed oysters still stuck to it. I was in heaven, though I came away with shredded fingers.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fort Pickens & Gulf Islands National Seashore

We entered the Gulf Islands National Seashore via the National Park gate and drove a two-lane road often lined by the whitish sand that I've ever seen and looking like snow (see one of my previous pics). Our objective was to visit Fort Pickens, a pentagonal masonry fort near the tip of Santa Rosa Island; construction lasted about 5 years (1829-1834) and the labor was done mostly by slaves - see the quotes below, the first a general summary and the second about the fort's history during the Civil War, the only time that the structure was used in battle.

The entry to Pensacola Bay was protected by a number of forts and numerous batteries (see the first pic below, followed by aerial views of the current structure); subsequent images show some inside & outside views of the fort's remains, including a number of large cannon; a huge explosion occurred in 1899 and bricks were thrown across the bay to Ft. Barrancas. In the 1890s, Pensacola Battery was built w/i Ft. Pickens (the black structure on one of the aerial views) - "the position of the battery illustrates the evolution of coastal defenses from brick and stone fortifications to the modern reinforced concrete installations. Begun in 1898, Battery Pensacola mounted two 12-inch rifles on disappearing carriages capable of firing 1,070 lb. shells approximately 8 miles" - amazing the size of these two cannon.

Beach roaming, surf fishing, camping, etc. are just a few of the many activities available on the National Seashore - there is a fee to enter the area, but we have 'Senior Passes' which allowed us in free. Dave :)

View attachment 71786 View attachment 71787 View attachment 71788 View attachment 71789 View attachment 71790 View attachment 71791 View attachment 71792 View attachment 71793 View attachment 71794 View attachment 71795[/QUOTE

The pure white sand really looks like snow. I enjoyed For Pickens more than some of the MANY other forts that Dave has dragged (oops, I meant “taken”) me too. It made the Civil War more real.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
National Naval Aviation Museum - Continued!

Just some more pics for those really into this subject - again, the link in the previous post has a listing of all aircraft etc. in the collection w/ their own links. Dave :)
View attachment 71810 View attachment 71811 View attachment 71812 View attachment 71813 View attachment 71814 View attachment 71815 View attachment 71816 View attachment 71817
I learned more about military airplanes than I ever dreamed of knowing. As Dave said, the guide, a retired officer, was funny and enthusiastic. Seeing so many planes up close was a unique experience.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

GREAT! Susan has 'chimed in' to the thread - I'd have to completely agree w/ her comments above - in addition to the fine Fish Out of Water restaurant (which we should have tried again - :(), their small bar area near the front desk had a varied menu, which included sushi offerings, which we did twice - was excellent - I have no major complaints w/ this resort and would stay again, if we return. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Once we had an “oyster roast” in Myrtle Beach SC, a big rock with steamed oysters still stuck to it. I was in heaven, though I came away with shredded fingers.

YEP, these are not individual raw shucked oysters presented on an iced platter, BUT a big 'rock' w/ many oysters attached that one needs to open each one - believe her first experience was in the mid-1970s, when I was at Ft. Bragg as an Army major in the medical corps - my mother visited and we took her to Myrtle Beach and lunched one day at Nance's Restaurant in Murrell's Inlet (south of Myrtle Beach - and discussed in my travelogue for that trip - last year, I believe) - Susan ordered the Oyster Roast and was presented w/ a large steamed rock w/ oysters attached - I think she did obtain bandaids from our waitress upon leaving - I prefer my oysters raw and shucked! ;) Dave

Last edited:

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
YEP, these are not individual raw shucked oysters presented on an iced platter, BUT a big 'rock' w/ many oysters attached that one needs to open each one - believe her first experience was in the mid-1970s, when I was at Ft. Bragg as an Army major in the medical corps - my mother visited and we took her to Myrtle Beach and lunched one day at Nance's Restaurant in Murrell's Inlet (south of Myrtle Beach - and discussed in my travelogue for that trip - last year, I believe) - Susan ordered the Oyster Roast and was presented w/ a large steamed rock w/ oysters attached - I think she did obtain bandaids from our waitress upon leaving - I prefer my oysters raw and shucked! ;) Dave
Yes, but this was like discovering buried treasure!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Eden Garden State Park

On our second day we decided to hit the fitness center in the morning then have a light lunch at the bar restaurant - in the afternoon, we drove north for a very short distance to visit Eden Gardens State Park - this is a former logging plantation w/ a beautiful house (unfortunately, the tours are limited to just certain days of the week and not available when we visited - so, if there and interested, check the tour times) - the house is beautiful and the park is an attractive site for weddings (see one pic below) - the gardens are small but well maintained w/ a plant nursery if you want to take one home.

A short walk to the dock and bayou is enjoyable (Susan is relaxing on a bench as the mullet were jumping in the water) - check the links for activities - many statues are present in the gardens, one shown as the last image below. A pleasant afternoon - the house tour would have been a nice addition - pics below pretty much self-explanatory (most are my own) - Dave :)

Eden Gardens State Park is a 163 acres (0.66 km2) Florida State Park and historic site located in Point Washington on CR 395, in northwestern Florida at 181 Eden Gardens Road (CR 395), Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32450. This park is centered on the Wesley house, a two-story mansion virtually surrounded by white columns and verandas. The house is notable for its furnishings, especially examples of late 18th century French furniture. The site has various gardens, numerous large, old southern live oak trees, and frontage on Tucker Bayou (Source).
EdenGardens_A1.png
EdenGardens_A2.jpg
EdenGardens_A3.jpg
EdenGardens_A4.jpg
EdenGardens_A5.JPG
EdenGardens_A6.png
EdenGardens_B1.JPG
EdenGardens_B2.JPG
EdenGardens_B3.JPG
EdenGardens_B4.JPG
EdenGardens_B5.jpg
EdenGardens_B6.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eden Garden State Park

On our second day we decided to hit the fitness center in the morning then have a light lunch at the bar restaurant - in the afternoon, we drove north for a very short distance to visit Eden Gardens State Park - this is a former logging plantation w/ a beautiful house (unfortunately, the tours are limited to just certain days of the week and not available when we visited - so, if there and interested, check the tour times) - the house is beautiful and the park is an attractive site for weddings (see one pic below) - the gardens are small but well maintained w/ a plant nursery if you want to take one home.

A short walk to the dock and bayou is enjoyable (Susan is relaxing on a bench as the mullet were jumping in the water) - check the links for activities - many statues are present in the gardens, one shown as the last image below. A pleasant afternoon - the house tour would have been a nice addition - pics below pretty much self-explanatory (most are my own) - Dave :)

View attachment 71833 View attachment 71834 View attachment 71835 View attachment 71836 View attachment 71837 View attachment 71838 View attachment 71839 View attachment 71840 View attachment 71841 View attachment 71842 View attachment 71843 View attachment 71844
Thanks for another very interesting travel story. I learn something new every time I read one of your posts.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for another very interesting travel story. I learn something new every time I read one of your posts.

Thanks, again - actually, I was not aware of this place (but may have found out googling attractions in the area?) - BUT, after our first night dinner at the Fish Out Of Water, I returned to their bar and had a talkative female bartender named Tracy - I had several local craft beers on tap (excellent) - she recommended a trip to Eden Gardens State Park - BOY, my suggestion is to go to the bar the first night on a trip and ask what is there to do locally! :D Dave

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Western Lake & Grayton Beach State Park

Our third day at the WaterColor Inn was one of relaxation - Susan was in our room in the morning while I took a 2+ mile walk along HW 30A (blue arrow on first image below), which provided superb views of Western Lake (second image from the web - did not take my camera) - this is part of Grayton Beach State Park, which offers a wide variety of activities (check the link) - we did not visit the park (too many things to do!), but the remaining images are from the web.

We had another light lunch, relaxed by the adult pool (which was VERY quiet - AHH!), walked on the beach, and then had a sushi dinner at the bar restaurant - a delightful day (and quite relaxing for Susan - she always complains that I drag her to battlefields, forts, or historic houses - but I pled innocence) - ;) Dave
Grayton_1.png
Grayton_2.png
Grayton_3.png
Grayton_4.png
Grayton_5.png
Grayton_6.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts