Orlando - Disney World - Environs

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Mar 20, 2019.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Kennedy Space Center - Part 2 - Bus Tour & Apollo/Saturn V Center

As part of the general admission, there is a popular MUST bus tour - this is narrated w/ both a new video and driver input - the famous VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building) is seen from many vantage points and well discussed; the tracks that carry the assembled rockets to the various launchpads are indeed impressive (shown in some of the pics below); the tour route is shown by the dotted line on the map and mainly covers the LC-39A SpaceX and LC-39B SLS Rocket sites; Space X is the company owned by Elon Musk and the SLS Rocket is the next being developed for space travel - I can add more if there is interest and questions.

The bus stops at the amazing Apollo/Saturn V Center described below - additional pics below, many my own - an impressively large rocket 'in person'!

Despite not wanting to leave we left about 4:30 PM for the hour drive back to Orlando - the Kennedy Space Center is a MUST visit if in the area and plan at least a whole day (if not a return ticket). Dave :)

Orlando_F2a.JPG Orlando_F2b.JPG Orlando_F2c.JPG Orlando_F2d.jpg Orlando_F2e.jpg Orlando_F2g.jpg Orlando_F2h.jpg Orlando_F2i.JPG Orlando_F2j.JPG Orlando_F2k.JPG Orlando_F2l.JPG Orlando_F2m.JPG

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again for a wonderful travel story.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Scifan.. - just before coming to Orlando, we saw the new documentary describe below, i.e. Apollo 11 about the 'man on the moon' mission - all archival footage (the quality not always the best, BUT some 70 mm filming that is spectacular) - all of this Apollo history well covered in the Apollo/Saturn V Center on the bus tour drop-off - for those reading this thread and who have not seen this 2019 film, then highly recommended. Dave :)

doc-apollo-11-img.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Launch Complex 39 (LC-39) - Kennedy Space Center (KSC)

Well, I could easily add a number of more posts about the KSC - one is more detail about the main rocket launch center, LC-39 - see quotes below (much more in the link, if interested) - first pic below an aerial view of the VAB w/ the launch pads 39A & 39B labeled, followed by several images of just two of the many launches from site 39A - SpaceX, Elon Musk's company, leases 39A from NASA - more in the pic below and the previous link. Dave :)

Orlando_G1.jpg Orlando_G2.jpg Orlando_G3.jpg Orlando_G4.png

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Mead Botanical Garden - Winter Park Attractions

On our last day in the Orlando area, we decided to visit a favorite local town, i.e. Winter Park, which is just north of Orlando - our first visit was the Mead Botanical Garden, a new experience for us; named after Theodore Mead who is buried in Orlando (beginning of his Wiki bio quoted below - much more in the link). There are many of these 'gardens' in Florida (a number in some of my other threads) - this one not as impressive as others, but some beautiful wetlands views, boardwalks through natural flora of the area, a variety of flowering plants, and an assortment of fauna, including turtles, birds, et al - alligators live in the waters and we saw an obvious 'sunning spot' but no live ones this time. A pleasant area for a picnic and weddings; pics below mostly my own w/ Susan present in one image - she is wearing her 'Minnie Mouse' cap from the World of Disney Store (seen in one of the earlier posts). Dave :)

Orlando_H1a.png Orlando_H1b.jpg Orlando_H1c.JPG Orlando_H1d.JPG Orlando_H1e.JPG Orlando_H1f.JPG Orlando_H1g.JPG Orlando_H1h.JPG Orlando_H1i.jpg Orlando_H1j.JPG Orlando_H1k.JPG Orlando_H1l.JPG

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Winter Park - Small City Worth a Visit

Winter Park was founded in the late 19th century as a resort community and still has a 'small town' atmosphere (although parking is a pain!) with many attractions, including museums, galleries, various shopping options, eating and boat rides. On this our fourth visit we skipped the boat ride (at the bottom of Morse Blvd) which traverses the lakes and canals (see pics) - this is a favorite ride on the water for us and highly recommended if never done before. This time we visited the Morse Museum & ate at a wonderful Spanish tapas restaurant (upcoming posts). Dave :)

Orlando_H2a.jpg Orlando_H2b.jpg Orlando_H2c.jpg Orlando_H2d.jpg Orlando_H2e.jpg Orlando_H2f.jpg Orlando_H2g.jpg Orlando_H2h.jpg Orlando_H2i.jpg Orlando_H2j.jpg

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Morse Museum - Tribute to Louis Comfort Tiffany

Any trip to Winter Park should include a visit to the Morse Museum of American Art (check link for its origins, if interested) - the museum is beautiful inside and has the most extensive collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany's works, which include many different media, of course, with a concentration on stained glass and lamps - the colors are gorgeous - quotes below on the museum and beginning Wiki bio of Tiffany, whose father founded Tiffany and Co. in New York City. Pics all from the web - a definite recommendation and just our second visit. Dave :)

Orlando_H3a.jpg Orlando_H3b.jpg Orlando_H3c.jpg Orlando_H3d.jpg Orlando_H3e.jpg Orlando_H3f.jpg Orlando_H3g.jpg Orlando_H3h.jpg Orlando_H3i.jpg Orlando_H3j.jpg Orlando_H3k.jpg Orlando_H3l.jpg Orlando_H3n.jpeg Orlando_H3o.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Oceanaire - Bulla Gastrobar

Well, our final two meals in the Orlando area - after returning from the Kennedy Space Center, we went back to the Oceanaire for more West Coast oysters - Susan had a stemmed lobster and I had two appetizers, Florida Stone Crab claws & a chilled lobster (just half of a small one) - delicious again!

In Winter Park, we wanted a 'change of pace' from oysters and the usual shellfish, so had an early dinner at the Bulla Gastrobar, a recommended Spanish restaurant - started w/ an excellent chilled (and refreshing) gazpacho veggie soup, then shared 4 plates, followed by 2 more - all superb (circled below) - Susan had a berry red sangria and I a couple of glasses of a Spanish Albariño, a dry floral wine that I rarely find on a menu. Then back to our hotel and an early AM departure. Dave :)

P.S. if in Winter Park and a fan of ethnic restaurants, another favorite from the past is the Bosphorus Turkish Cuisine!

Orlando_J1.jpg Orlando_J2.png Orlando_J3.jpg Orlando_J4.png Orlando_J5.jpg

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I was in Chicago I saw the huge Tiffany glass mosaic dome in the Marshall Field’s store( now Macy’s). It’s the largest of its kind in the world.
    Chicago - Architecture & Cityscape: Tiffany Dome at Marshall Field's [Now Macy's]
    5CA30FFC-BBB6-4B19-97AF-6CF9157C43A4.jpeg

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes - I've been in that store a number of times and have seen that splendid dome - thanks for the memory!

Now sitting at the huge Orlando Airport, the busiest in Florida and almost in the top ten in the USA (see quote below) - interesting design to the terminals, i.e. like an octopus w/ connecting arms served by tram trains. Luckily, we had TSA pre-check and about to board our non-stop Spirit flight home - should be there about 1:30 PM - we'll have to explore some of the other 'non-stops' on that recently added airline to our local airport - will likely add a few more shorter posts of the many other attractions in Orlando that we've done in the past, just for those reading this thread who are planning a visit to the Disney World area. Dave :)

Airport1.jpg Airport2.jpg Airport3.jpg Airport14.jpg