What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First timer help

crispy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time here so thanks in advance and be gentle. i should add that I am from the Uk too if that helps explain my questions..

Firstly I currently don't own any Apple products and have never used Itunes, I downloaded the latest version of IT last night so i will spend the next few days playong around with it.

I am off on holiday to Florida in late May and I intend to visit the Apple store near our hotel and buy an IPAD, not quite sure if I will opt for the new model if it is out by then or grab the current version as a bargin.

I need a little help on how I prepare in advance.

1) I have read that I need to activate the IPAD via Itunes on a PC, is there a way around this as my PC will be back in Blighty. Is it something one of the chaps in the apple store could do.

2) Can I buy apps in advance and then download them when I get my IPAD in the states.

3) I also want to be able to put some PDF and EPUB book on when I am out there. Could I open a DROPBOX account and load them onto that at home, then down them to my IPAD.

4) Can I do the same as above with music and video or can that only be down through Itunes and my PC.

I know there is a lot there, if you can only answer a bit feel from to reply.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Ps, feel free to point out any down sides to buying the IPAD in the USA to start with.

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. No
2. Yes. buy and download to iPAD, You can sync it later to iTunes
3. No need for DropBox for PDF and ePUB. Can load directly to iPAD later.
4. Same with Music

Why dropBox for keeping a file tha later on be transfer to iPAD any way. Put the files on a USB device for keep.

Once you have your PC with iTunes, strat transferring.

OP
C

crispy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I should have been clearer.

I want to use the PDF's, EPUB books,Music and Video straight after I have bought it if possible while I am still in America.

Hence why I need to do it all without my PC.

Cheers
Chris

Reaction score
The problem is that you need to activate your iPad via iTunes and in turn iTunes needs to be activated with your account for it to work with your apps.

However, you might connect your iPad at the Apple Store to activate it with their account. When I got my iPad replaced, I simply connected the new one to one of the MacBooks at the Sfore, which then enabled me to use the iPad without having it synced with my one iTunes.

However, I don't think that you can use any content which is explicitly linked to your itunes account in this state. So you might be limited to the preinstalled apps.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your timing is great as the iPad2 is almost certain to be out by then and if apple follows it's previous practice it could be several months later before it arrives in the UK.

You can certainly get it activated in store and even open an iTunes account before you travel and download apps. The trick will be accessing that account from Fl..

Actually it would just be accessing the uk iTunes store as if you have bought apps you can redownload them for free.
Thankfully it remembers your purchases.

OP
C

crispy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.

Am I right in understanding that I can now create an I tunes account in the UK.

Then buy the any apps I fancy ahead of time.

Get the US Apple store to activate my IPAD

Then log into the uk app store direct from my IPAD and download the apps bought from the UK.

All without the need of a PC.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wish the links posting didn't always do that. The bit you need to remember is that you put /uk/ipad/ after apple.com

Most reactions

Latest posts