What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firmware Update?

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve come across the phrase ‘firmware update’ quite often lately. Made me wonder why. When an iOS software update is released, isn’t a ‘firmware update’ included? In that case, what Apple user needs to be concerned about ‘firmware updates?’
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible (and probable) that iOS updates technically come with firmware updates (as needed). The big updates often boot multiple times. Apple does not distinguish or separate it’s updates into software/firmware on iOS.

Firmware updates are usually something that you get from the hardware manufacture. Because Apple provides both the hardware and OS, there is no reason for them to make a distinction.

Firmware - Wikipedia

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple referred to AirPort Extreme/Express updates as Firmware updates.
7DD76C8F-F5A4-4520-9B6D-5EFFA61CF970.png

There is also DFU mode(Device Firmware Update). iPhone: What is DFU mode, and what's the difference from recovery mode?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple referred to AirPort Extreme/Express updates as Firmware updates.
View attachment 90146

There is also DFU mode(Device Firmware Update). iPhone: What is DFU mode, and what's the difference from recovery mode?

True. But conversely you’ll note there are no software updates for their WiFi routers. Also, I specified iOS. (meaning to include all the iOS related devices).

DFU mode isn’t something Apple ever tells you to do outside of tech support. You won’t see Apple releasing a firmware update and saying, “Hey, everyone, use DFU mode to install this”. So, technically correct, but not something a typical user will ever see (unless unlucky).

In the end, I’m not saying Apple does not do firmware updates. They do. They just prefer not to make them the separate, big deal, that other manufacturers often have to.

Even in the AirPort products, it’s just a notification and click this to install and reboot. None of that “go to this special site, download this file, install, run, and reboot” that most other firmware installations require.

Most reactions

Latest posts