FingerPrint to AirPrint to your computer

Discussion in 'AirPrint' started by twerppoet, May 31, 2011.

1. takeshi

takeshi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Not unless it's an AirPrint compatible printer. Something needs to interface with AirPrint and your printer. Your non-Airprint printer cannot do this on its own.

Well, not my cake. My network printers have their own print servers and I'd rather not have to leave my PC running. Still, FingerPrint is better IMO than no printing or having to buy an AirPrint printer. I don't like inkjets and strongly prefer sturdier, repairable, reliable and lower cost per page business class Laserjets. Your cake may differ, of course.

#11 takeshi, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Be a 'little' bit more trouble to set up, but you could dedicate a small older computer (a used Mac Mini?) as a print server. Set it up to auto start after power outages, Fingerprint (or Printopia) auto startup, set up all you wireless (and a couple wired) printers, disconnect it from the keyboard and monitor, and stuff in in a corner out of sight, powered by the same outlet/supply as the printer(s).

Then you wouldn't have to worry about shutting your usual beast. It would just be part of your network.

Yah, yah, I know. More trouble than it's worth; unless, perhaps, you've got a small iPad heavy business.

3. Mketring

Mketring
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hope I don't sound dense but I am new to wireless issues my printers are connected to my desktop, accessible wirelessly by my laptop through a home network. If I load fingerprint so I can print from my iPad will it create problems for my home network. My prints are not wireless printer

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It should work just fine.

5. Mrshmlo

Mrshmlo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Would someone tell me hhow to make FingerPrint work with IPad, iPhone and Windows . should I delete the Eurosmart print programs first? I have so many $ invested in pr
    Apps, that I think I should buy a new printer! I am a new user and t
    Find it all frustrating! I would appreciate help from one of you experts! Thanks much!

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Fingerprint has a free trial. Just download it, install, and follow the instructions. Once you do so any app that has a built in print options (other than the printing apps themselves) will probably work. If it works and you like it, pay.

It shouldn't require you to to install or deinstall any other software

7. Chays

Chays
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

If you go to there web, you can download the drivers for windows. Or click here for free trial:http://www.collobos.com/download/fingerprint/Win32/FingerPrintSetup.exe
    You don't need to delete eurosmart print.
    If you do purchase a new printer, purchase one that is airPrint supported, on of these:http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356
    I'm no expert, but have done it and I don't have any complaints about the program.

Regards,
    Chays

8. Yarrenbool

Yarrenbool
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of Printopia, will have to check it out.

I use FingerPrint on a Win-7-64 computer and it sees and will print to an AirPrint HP printer, can use duplex, no big deal as it is AirPrint and would print anyway.

But it will also see and use an old non-AirPrint network connected duplex HP Laserjet. This to me IS a big deal!

I'm really pleased with how well FingerPrint works and have helped set it up on a couple of friends' Win systems. This weekend will be helping another friend set it up on an Apple.

Well worth the $10!

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Unlike Fingerprint, Printopia is Mac only. Last time I checked the feature list it had a couple more options than Fingerprint, like the ability to print/open to any PDF program on the Mac. Those features may or may not be useful to your friend. I've only used Printopia, so I can't offer a direct comparison between the two; but I do like Prntopia and it's been reliable.

They cost about the same {I was wrong. Printopia cost about twice as much as Fingerprints, so whether you want the extra features becomes important}, and both have free trials, so I suggest you show both to your friend and let them decide which would work better for them. There are already links to Fingerprint, so I'll just add the link to Printopia.

Printopia - AirPrint to Any Printer - Print from iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network

#19 twerppoet, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. Knaphie

Knaphie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Forum,
    I found your suggestions whilst looking for a solution to allow me to print to my Epson PX650 printer directly from my iPad 2. I use Windows 7 x64bit on my PC. I chose FingerPrint in my case as it doesn't care what type of printer is in use, so it allowed me to use my current printer. I figured £7 for a solution such as this is fantastic value, especially as you can trial before buying for a week!

So... I installed the trial copy of FingerPrint program without hitch but my printer was not immediately available for use. Fingerprint showed the printer as available on the PC, but it wasn't seen by my iPad. After a bit of Googling, I managed to sort the issue. In my case I had to enable a couple of ports on my Linksys WAG320n router and my PC Firewall.

Here's the screenshot of the settings on the Linksys page in the hope that they help others.
    LinkSys Settings for FingerPrint.jpg
    Remember to allow these ports through the Windows Firewall too.
    I hope this helps someone else.

#20 Knaphie, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012