What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File access

Geoff Thomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - me again, two questions on my first day as a member, Is that a record?

Here goes.

iPad Pro 12.9 3rd Gen. 256GB

I am used to Kindles, so some iPad protocols are confusing me.

I download Media to my iPad using iTunes. This is fine, I know the programme well and it works fine, BUT. it appears that I have to link films, books etc. to a bit of software and that bit of software then becomes the only App that can access it.

I am used to Kindle which works very much like Win 10, where you D/L Media to a common File Directory and then any Media software can access the Directory to play it.

This doesn't seem to be possible with the iPad, indeed, although it appears in the tree on my PC in Windows Explorere, the only directory to which you have access is DCIM for Photos.

Would love to hear some comments.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS and iPadOS devices don’t use the same type of open file system as found on a Windows computer. With few exceptions, apps are sandboxed from each other and can’t access data stored in other apps.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Geoff and welcome to the forum! :) The iPad has been around since 2010 and all know that the now called iPadOS is a UNIX-based 'sandboxed' operating system, i.e. most of what is needed to use an app is kept in a 'protected area' (i.e. a sandbox), including its data (whatever that may be) - Apple uses this approach for security - you need to learn more to understand these differences between Windows, macOS, and other UNIX based OSs - if not already done, either DL or read online an Apple manual on your iPad and its OS - check HERE.

Now, in recent years, Apple has gradually opened up its iPadOS system to allow more access from those sandboxes mentioned above. Your need to learn about the new Files app, iCloud Drive, and the Sharing feature that can be used w/ your iPad. Also, there are a number of 3rd party apps in the App Store that provide a much better look into the file organization of iPadOS and some potential manipulation - let me just mention one which is on my Mac computers (there is a PC version) called iMazing - take a look at the link to see if the app might be of use (a free DL but a purchase will be needed later) - I have no relationship to the developers of this program and there are others purporting to do similar actions. Good luck and hope that you learn enough about the iPad before 'giving up prematurely'. Dave
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 11.43.47 AM.png

OP
G

Geoff Thomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll look at the iMazing app. Thanx.

I use Cloud Tech a lot, as well has having my own Personal Cloud that I can access remotely, but I need to be able to access the Files on the Hard Drive when I'm off line and not in an area where there is WiFi. I spent Seven Months last year in Morrocco and Cuba, where the WiFi coverage even in cities like Havana and Marrakech is very spotty and there is no WiFi coverage in rented rooms or Hotel Rooms. The 5 Star "IberoStar" Hotel Chain has WiFi but usually only in Common Areas like Bars and Reception/waiting areas.

Even there the coverage is weak and you are continually 'dropping out'.

As for "The iPad has been around since 2010 and all know that the now called iPadOS is a UNIX-based 'sandboxed' operating system," well, "all know" - except me, then.......lol. Never having had an iPad or a MAC before, the mysteries of an IOS Unix based system are basically a closed book to me, I only tend to study on Tech that I actually use. So, now that I DO have an iPad, I am starting to learn. Much off the simpler stuff I can find in FAQs etc., but things like this which have a more complex answer than "Press <ctrl>, take option 2 and answer <Yes>" mean that I have to get my head around the WHY of something before I can make the other stuff fit.

I have had my own personal computer since long before Windows (TRS 80, in 1978) so I understand much about the architecture of the thing itself, but the organisation of the software with regard to Media has always been the same, Make a Directory, call it "Films", Tell your software to go there to find films and videos. Couldn't be easier.

So why do you think MAC and iPad make it so unnecessarily difficult?

What I also can't find out is this. I have three or four Video Players and sometimes I'll want to watch a film but I don't know which Player I will watch it on.

At the moment, if I use iTunes and select Player A before I download, I cannot then watch that film on Player B. Does this mean that I end up with two copies of the film on my Hard Drive If I D/L the film again for Player B. ?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll look at the iMazing app. Thanx.

I use Cloud Tech a lot, as well has having my own Personal Cloud that I can access remotely, but I need to be able to access the Files on the Hard Drive when I'm off line and not in an area where there is WiFi. I spent Seven Months last year in Morrocco and Cuba, where the WiFi coverage even in cities like Havana and Marrakech is very spotty and there is no WiFi coverage in rented rooms or Hotel Rooms. The 5 Star "IberoStar" Hotel Chain has WiFi but usually only in Common Areas like Bars and Reception/waiting areas.

Even there the coverage is weak and you are continually 'dropping out'.

As for "The iPad has been around since 2010 and all know that the now called iPadOS is a UNIX-based 'sandboxed' operating system," well, "all know" - except me, then.......lol. Never having had an iPad or a MAC before, the mysteries of an IOS Unix based system are basically a closed book to me, I only tend to study on Tech that I actually use. So, now that I DO have an iPad, I am starting to learn. Much off the simpler stuff I can find in FAQs etc., but things like this which have a more complex answer than "Press <ctrl>, take option 2 and answer <Yes>" mean that I have to get my head around the WHY of something before I can make the other stuff fit.

I have had my own personal computer since long before Windows (TRS 80, in 1978) so I understand much about the architecture of the thing itself, but the organisation of the software with regard to Media has always been the same, Make a Directory, call it "Films", Tell your software to go there to find films and videos. Couldn't be easier.

So why do you think MAC and iPad make it so unnecessarily difficult?

What I also can't find out is this. I have three or four Video Players and sometimes I'll want to watch a film but I don't know which Player I will watch it on.

At the moment, if I use iTunes and select Player A before I download, I cannot then watch that film on Player B. Does this mean that I end up with two copies of the film on my Hard Drive If I D/L the film again for Player B. ?

Hi again Geoff - thanks for the beginning stories about Morrocco & Cuba; my son/DIL & BIL on different trips to Cuba complained about Wi-Fi connections; had some friends that visited Cuba not too long ago and many complained about lack of drinking water in their hotel rooms. There are a number of devices that can create 'personal Wi-Fi' networks and accept SD cards for file transfer - the one I own is from RavPower and is shown below - it's their newer model so have not used it much (see pic below) - check the link if interested.

As to the comment on 'all know' - sorry, my apologies; maybe I should have said 'many'? But UNIX predates the personal computer age (my first one was an Apple II+ in 1980); then at work in a medical position, I used PC/DOS/Windows for 30 or so years. But UNIX is a venerable and security laden OS making Apple's version (macOS 11, Big Sur, now) similarly secure which Apple takes further steps to make even safer (often annoyingly!). But keep in mind that iOS (for iPhones) and iPadOS vs. mac OS are not the same - the latter indeed has a file system that can be explored (see 2nd pic) - the inbred app is called Finder and as is evident my laptop's SSD is divided into categories and each has many files (Documents is showing now to the right) - these files can be easily moved, duplicate, and sent elsewhere using the Share feature. If you want the ultimate control, the Terminal awaits but can be dangerous to the ignorant - a couple of misplaced typos can do havoc.

As to your videos (and also your other post regarding the hub), providing more specific details would help, such as brand and model numbers (maybe even a posted pic) and any specs, like power output would aid responders from looking up the information - so, which video players do you have and how are they cabled and/or wirelessly connected. If you're w/i the Apple family (on retirement, I went completely to Apple products), the company has integrated it's devices and iCloud so much of your information is automatically available on most or all of your devices. Well, I've said TOO MUCH - hope some of these comments are helpful. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 1.37.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 1.28.24 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
G

Geoff Thomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's very helpful, thanx.

Crossed wires a bit, maybe. When I speak of video players, I am talking software not hardware. So, just like WMP on a Win PC, it's software that you open and when you are in the programme, you can tell the settings where to look for specific media. The instructions with the iPad for File Transfer seem to give the impression that the ONLY way to upload Media to the iPad from a PC is by using iTunes.

The wireless router looks improbably good. I say improbably, because I don't see any explanation of how it just creates a wifi connection if there is no external wifi signal ?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's very helpful, thanx.

Crossed wires a bit, maybe. When I speak of video players, I am talking software not hardware. So, just like WMP on a Win PC, it's software that you open and when you are in the programme, you can tell the settings where to look for specific media. The instructions with the iPad for File Transfer seem to give the impression that the ONLY way to upload Media to the iPad from a PC is by using iTunes.

The wireless router looks improbably good. I say improbably, because I don't see any explanation of how it just creates a wifi connection if there is no external wifi signal ?

Hi Geoff - well I don't really use software video players, so I'll let others respond. As to the RavPower device, it creates it's own Wi-Fi network, i.e. no other Wi-Fi is needed - you simply open up the Wi-Fi options on your devices and select the RavPower one - then you can do whatever is described on their website, e.g. exchanging files between your devices and the SD card in the RavPower (and large storage SD cards will work) - not sure if this would be of any help to you? BUT, you don't need another Wi-Fi network for this to work. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most media players have a variety of ways to load content. Which ones you can do depends on the app. The most common are:

• From a computer using iTunes. This is mostly legacy, and more complicated than necessary.
  • Using a cloud service like DropBox, Box, OneDrive, or Google Drive.
  • WebDAV, FTP, or Windows SMB servers. Usually set up on your home computer.
  • Downloading from sites using a web browser built into the app.
  • Connecting your iPad via a Computer's web browser on your personal network. This method supplies you with a URL to enter in your computer's web browser. You can upload and download files from the computer to the iPad from this interface. Better implementations include a security code to enter to avoid third parties from hopping on board (unlikely as that is).
  • iMazing (which you've already heard about). Basically a utility for managing your iPad from your computer. Purely as a utility, it is more powerful than iTunes. (I don't use it, so can't speak to all of its uses).
  • A few support external storage. Often these apps are hardware dependent and only work with the storage device they were made for.
There are probably a few others I haven't covered. You'll have to read the documentation for your app, and do some exploring to find out all the tools it provides. Outside of Apple's Music and iTunes apps on the iPad, I only use nPlayer, and my use case is so narrow that I'm not even sure of all it can do.

Most reactions

Latest posts