Feel so stupid but what, exactly is Icloud?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by melsnel, Oct 9, 2011.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    iCloud can do what you want, but there are things to look for on each service. I'll throw out a few random things to check, but I don't know enough to give real help at this point.

In Settings > iCloud make sure each service you want is turned on for both devices.

In the Notes app, see if you've got and Accounts button. It's possible you've separated your notes into more than one account, including a local one. If so you may have to manually copy and paste your notes to the iCloud account. Personally, for notes, I much prefer Evernote. I only use the Notes app to hole stuff temporarily while I copy, edit, paste stuff, (kind of like a clipboard for text) or am experimenting with the keyboard.

Be sure to visit iCloud.com on a computer and make sure that your Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders (part of Calendar on iCloud) are syncing to the site.

For backups, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backups on both devices. Fiddle around, check out Manage Storage and the other info to see if you can figure out what the problem is. You should be able to see the backup info for both devices, but only change it for the one you are on.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good Luck.

2. Gen from Oz

Gen from Oz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Twerp - I will try again! It's good to know at least it will do what I want!!

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    good luck

4. Gen from Oz

Gen from Oz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    ICloud not 'seeing' my calendar, notes or reminders when I backup Iphone to ICloud

Thanks Twerpoet, I think you are on the right track! I have discovered, as you suggested, that there are a number of 'accounts' in notes, and that as I have saved them in the "On my Ipad" account, they are not uploaded to ICloud. I have resaved them in ICloud. I still can't back up my Ipad -we'll see if the new 'notes account' gets uploaded when I do!

Have also gone to ICloud on computer, and yes my calenders there are empty. So, the same thing has occured on my Iphone - the events I have stored are in "my calendar" and and not on the "iCloud" Calendar. Which is actually really stupid of Apple - why do we have to have to juggle between one and the other? If you log onto ICloud, obviously you want your calendar to back up!

I am now looking to find a way to automatically transfer all my info from the "my calendar" to the "ICloud" calendar, or better still, merge these two calendars. Any advice?

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If you are certain that your Contacts and Calendar are still being stored in the local database (not iCloud):

Turn off/signout of iCloud in Settings > iCloud. If it asks if you want to delete things like the calendar and contacts, say yes. This will only delete whatever you have in the iCloud Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Reminders and such; and only on the iPad, so they will still be on iCloud.

Open each apps and make sure those accounts are gone (not the local stuff).

Now go to Settings iCloud and sign in again. With a little luck it should ask you if you want to merge your data. Say yes. With a tad more luck your local Calendars and Contacts will now be in iCloud. Do this with the device that has the most up to date information.

This is, of course, slightly risky. If you have tons of data that you absolutely can't risk losing, it would be best to find some other way to back it up first.

6. Gen from Oz

Gen from Oz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hmm - I am a bit scared of ITunes!! Have lost all my data, pics etc so any times.. So now I have dupes of everything stored in ITunes and a backup folder, and only do manual synchs.

Your advice did give me the clue I needed though - the duplicate account in iCloud's that is created in both notes and calendar when you load up iCloud. For notes I copied entries from "on my iPad" and "on my iphone" to "iCloud" and they appear on the other device!
    For calendar it was easiest to go back into calendar, go to list, go to calendar, and edit each entry to select "iPhone" calendar. Once they were all changed over, I went to "calender" then de-selected everything but the ICloud calendar. A while later these all showed up on ICloud (via computer) AND most importantly on my iPad! Changes and entries on either device now updates to the other!! Woo-hoo!!

Thanks heaps for your help Twerpoet - your advice re the accounts in notes is what let me get there.

I still haven't got reminders synching from one device to the other yet tho - and would lve to keep my 'to do' list on both!! Any further sights anyone??

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Nice. And I don't blame you for taking the safer, if longer route.

Be sure to go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and change your default account and calendar to iCloud. That way you'll be less likely to accidentally enter your stuff in the wrong place. It is also where apps, like Mail, will add new contacts or events if/when you receive them that way.

That is also where you choose how far back reminders sync. I forgot that, or I'd have mentioned it sooner.

#47 twerppoet, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. angellike

angellike
    Expand Collapse

icloud.......giving approval for someones server somewhere out there in cyberspace to record your every keystroke im an anti icloud kinda gall I like to think that my business it just that MY BUSINESS.....What happened to storing our own backup on a floppy This is when our personal lives were safeguarded

9. bernardhoa

bernardhoa
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  10. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes there is a limit and it is 5gb