Feel so stupid but what, exactly is Icloud?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by melsnel, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Harters

Harters
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I had the same trouble using iCloud, so now I back everything up on my iMac using iTunes.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

2. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    It is simple: I do not worry about syncing calenders. I use Tap Forms HD and/or Bento to maintain my to-do lists, schedules and calender. I keep a printed schedule as well. I depend on certain things and I can't always be certain if I will have WiFi access. Some things I need guaranteed and keeping as much as possible stored locally serves me well.

3. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    First the disclaimer: I do not know what I am talking about. Smiley.

To delete apps I know I do not want, I go to Users/Bobs (thats me, your folder will be different) /My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications and I delete the files I do not want. Then in iTunes, I sometimes need to delete the apps from iTunes when I sync but I am not sure why; typically, if they are not in the above folder, iTunes does not list them. So I go to the Apps tab and right-click each errant file and select delete.

courseI am not sure what you mean by deleting the apps you no longer want. Do you perhaps mean delete them from the list of applications iTunes will let you reinstall when you go to "purchased" in iTunes? If that is the case, sorry, you cannot do this because last I knew, the list is on Apples servers.

There might be an easier way to delete apps you hate. What I said above is how I go about it.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    When you delete files from iTunes, you should delete them in iTunes. By going directly to the files you can easily corrupt the database iTunes keeps to track the files.

Just select the file in iTunes and then tap the Delete button on the keyboard. You'll get the option to move it to the trash or permanently delete if from the computer.

5. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Not sure I disagree, Twerppoet. But not sure I agree, exactly. However, I do not know much so I will defer to your expertise.

That said . . .

I recall searching Apple's site and as I recall, my way was a suggestion, so I simply delete the file from my HDD. I did not find much at all about problems related to the iTunes DB and deleting the file in the folder, however. When you right click the app in iTunes, you can select the ‘remove to your recycle bin’ option. As you say, click and press delete. This supposedly deletes it from your HDD.

I currently have as many as three versions of some applications in my folder so I know this does not delete the actual file. In fact, for the purposes of this specific reply, I just deleted a program through iTunes and when I looked in my Mobile Apps folder, the app is still there, along with several older versions. When I deleted the three versions, the app no longer shows up in iTunes.

When I right-click an app in iTunes, I am given the option to "show in Windows Explorer" When I select that, the folder opens. Seems reasonable to me that if this is an option, it should do no harm to delete the file.

Again, not sure you are incorrect. What I do works for me.

6. Ruthie

Ruthie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone answer my question about the storage as I keep getting a message that I have no storage left and that I should go to Settings and Manage my Storage.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It is just riskier. It may or may not cause a problem. iTunes doesn't scan your folders each time it starts. It uses an XML file as a database. If you directly delete the file, it may keep a pointer to that location. The next time you sync you can end up with a file not found error. I would be uncomfortable bypassing the normal delete function without good cause. Especially since I can no longer fine the old rebuild library function that iTunes used to have.

The cleanest way is to delete from iTunes. If you don't want the file to stick around in the recycle bin, iTunes should offer you a remove from this computer option as well.

But if your methods are working for you, that's fine. I don't know enough to say it 'will' cause problems. I just know enough to be uncomfortable with the practice.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you have too much set to backup, if you are using iCloud as a backup.

Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage. You'll see each device you have set up to backup with your current iCloud account. The amount of space it will take is show to the right. If you select your device it will give you a list of the apps that will take the most space. You can tap Show All Apps to see all apps and how much space they will require to backup.

Turn off any apps that you don't care if they are backed up.

As for your apps. When you delete them from the iPad they take up no storage on the iPad or in iCloud. You can see them in the App Store under Purchased, but this is simply a convenient archive that allows you to download them again (at no cost) if you ever change your mind. iBooks and music that show up in their respective stores under Purchased also take no space in iCloud.

Other things that do take up space in iCloud are documents synced with the iWorks apps, Mail folders, and the PhotoStream. There are more, and third party apps can also use the space. They should require setup with iCloud before they do.

9. Gen from Oz

Gen from Oz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have just started iCloud up and need some help!! I have Iphone4 and want to get calendar, notes, contacts from that onto Ipad1 and thereafter be able to update on either device and have them merge info (merge, not one being dominent) but i DON'T don't want to synch these with Outlook on a computer via ITunes. iCloud looked like it could do that! Have linked both devices to ICloud. Contacts have come over to IPad but not notes calendar or reminders, which are also selected on both devices. iPhone backs up y
    To icloud but iPad won't - keeps saying there's a problem, try later.
    Can anyone tell me:
    1) can ICloud do what I want as described above?
    2) what is going wrong and how can I fix it?
    Thanks!!

10. buzzy23

buzzy23
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    the problem with the cloud, is you cannot see what is in the cloud. In dropbox, you can see all of the files stored, as well as the type of file, i.e. doc., pdf., etc.