What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feel so stupid but what, exactly is Icloud?

melsnel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep hearing this term and that it will be on the next update for my IPad2, but I don't know what it is or what it will do for me.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a facility which Apple is providing for "Cloud Storage", which is basically allowing you to save your stuff on their servers. Becasue you don't know where it actually physically is you refer to is being "in the cloud". It's just storage space on Apple servers which you can use, and the Apps on your iPad will will be able to store documents and other stuff there if they are updated to support iCloud by the developers.

If you've used DropBox or anything similar, iCloud is just Apple's flavour of this kind of service... Of course the fact it will be fully integrated into IOS and iTunes should make it a whole lot more interesting... :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will we ba able to store more music, vids, pics, apps, whatever than our device will allow?

ScarletSiren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

I'm a HUGE fan of photo editing/processing apps on the iPhone, say I took picture on my iPhone... iCloud will enable that picture to be viewed on my iPad 'automatically' and I will be able to edit that picture on my (soon to be mine) iPad with my favourite apps without syncing using cables??? Is that an example?

OP, I've been trying to understand iCloud also! LOL! and it's probably very simple and and nowhere near as complex as I expect it to be!

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iCloud is the new FTP. A place where everything you love will be eventually stored for easy access across iOS devices unless you do not have Internet access. It is a little hype combined with magic and wonder.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

I'm a HUGE fan of photo editing/processing apps on the iPhone, say I took picture on my iPhone... iCloud will enable that picture to be viewed on my iPad 'automatically' and I will be able to edit that picture on my (soon to be mine) iPad with my favourite apps without syncing using cables??? Is that an example?

OP, I've been trying to understand iCloud also! LOL! and it's probably very simple and and nowhere near as complex as I expect it to be!

Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
no more worry about ITune back up. IOS 5 will allow you to cloud up wirelessly.

Is this so wise?

Given the recent hacks into Sony etc, even Blackberry customers have been deprived for several days, can we really trust cloud services?

You also need Internet access for cloud type services, to be safe i have all my critical stuff on a 3tb NAS having experienced days of lost Internet service due to fibre cable faults.

Just what you need when the Custom & Excise Guys want to do a business check up :(

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
Reports indicate that ICLOUD could be a battery killer.

unless used on battery for lots of files or over often, i'd have thought it will only draw power when in use surely?

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ITunes 10.5 is available for download, has been for a bit. And supposedly iOS5 should be out for download today. Can anybody verify this?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts