What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eye-Strain while using iBooks (iStrain?)

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen numerous posts about eye-strain caused when using the iPad as an ereader.

I have finished one book and I am halfway through another and I have not experienced any eye-strain at all.

I read for an hour or two at a time and find it perfectly comfortable.

Are people just really having issues with this or has all the chatter about it convinced them that it must be happening?

jmiked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that some people normally keep the backlight on their LCD screens way too bright so it does strain their eyes. They generalize that all LCDs will cause strain. It's just not adjusted properly, IMHO. I’ve always turned the brightness down as far as possible, consistent with comfort, and have had no problems reading on the iPad for 4-5 hours at a time, same as the Kindle.

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle can be used outdoors in bright sunlight. The iPad is next to useless in bright sun. I know that some dispute my finding, but I can't practically use the iPad outdoors where the Kindle excels.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
This is one of those topics that have been done to death.... and the arguments are always the same.... Most people have no problems reading on the iPad.... many like my wife and I have sold eInk devices and went to the iPad.... I actually got eye strain from eInk but read great on the iPad..... If for some reason you don't have tree's where you live, and your idea of a good time is to stand in direct sunlight and read.... then eInk is better..... and so it continues...

OP
M

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is one of those topics that have been done to

Here's a tip. If you are no longer interested in a particular subject, stop reading threads about that subject.

When people join a forum they talk about whatever interests them. It keeps the forum alive. The fact that you have already discussed it does not mean no one else can.

Again, if you are no longer interested, feel free not to read the thread. That is much more courteous than complaining about what someone else posts.

brandiem09

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Again, if you are no longer interested, feel free not to read the thread. That is much more courteous than complaining about what someone else posts.

Martin, he is expressing an opinion, just as you are. There are several recent threads where you can post your questions, or even read them to find your answers. The fact that you seem to be commenting, or expanding on, what is happening in other threads with a new thread is a bit redundant.

But, to reply to your post, I haven't had any issues personally. While I have experienced eye strain with other devices, like my phone or Nintendo DS, I think it might be because of the small and bright screens.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a pool in my backyard and plenty of umbrellas on the deck. If you turn the brightness all the way up you can read very well in any shaded area.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a pool in my backyard and plenty of umbrellas on the deck. If you turn the brightness all the way up you can read very well in any shaded area.

That is not my experience, but you'll notice that I did say thatthere is disagreement with my findings.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Here's a tip. If you are no longer interested in a particular subject, stop reading threads about that subject.

When people join a forum they talk about whatever interests them. It keeps the forum alive. The fact that you have already discussed it does not mean no one else can.

Thanks for the tip! You're quite a sharp fellow :)

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It really just depends on the person, I suspect. I've read about a dozen books in my iPad in the month or so I've had it, and yeah, it bothers my eyes after a few hours, even with the brightness adjusted. Not a huge deal, but it's there.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mostly read at night, in bed, in the dark, before going to sleep.
Using Kobo in night mode, I have read up to two hours with no eye strain.
In fact, my Sony 505 was harder to read in similar circumstances.
Also, I no longer a reading light.

J_hutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like how Stanza allows you to easily change the font size back & forth with stretching your fingers on the screen....as well as changing screen brightness by a vertical finger swipe. Those features and night mode (white text on black background) help eliminate eye strain for me. But, when you are tired...you are tired. Nothing helps that unless they come up with iExpresso....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I like how Stanza allows you to easily change the font size back & forth with stretching your fingers on the screen....as well as changing screen brightness by a vertical finger swipe. Those features and night mode (white text on black background) help eliminate eye strain for me. But, when you are tired...you are tired. Nothing helps that unless they come up with iExpresso....

Agree, some of the reasons that Stanza is my main reading app..... I wish iBooks had more options....

Most reactions

Latest posts