What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything appears lost

cek29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I updated to OS5 on iPad 1. To be safe, I read the tips and trouble shooting pages first. As I understood it:

BUT when I restarted EVERYTHING is gone, books, apps, accounts etc.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I updated to OS5 on iPad 1. To be safe, I read the tips and trouble shooting pages first. As I understood it:

BUT when I restarted EVERYTHING is gone, books, apps, accounts etc.
If you let the upgrade fully implement and complete it should have restored from the backup it created prior to the upgrade. If you haven't backed up your iPad (just allowed it to sync) you should be able to restore from backup.

1. Before connecting your iPad open iTunes > Preferences > Devices > Check/enable "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically".
2. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. If, when you connect your iPad to your computer it begins a backup, immediately click on the small "X" on the far right-hand side of the progress bar at the top of iTunes.
3. Right-click or Control-click on your iPad (listed in the left-hand menu of iTunes).
4. Click on "Restore from backup"
5. In the pop-up ensure that you pick your iPad from the drop-down list (if you have more than one device associated).

More here:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

Note, this is just for restoring data. Your iPad will still be on i0S 5 or 5.0.1.

Most reactions

Latest posts