1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Evernote Web Clipper Installation

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by bobmielke, Feb 28, 2011.

1. bobmielke

bobmielke iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm quite a newbie so be kind. Just installed Evernote on my iPad. Noticed Web Clipper works great on my PC but can't get it to show up anywhere in Safari so I can capture a web page. Help!
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    Web clipper only works on the full Safari version on the computer. Safari mobile doesn't support plug-ins. You'll have to settle for copy&paste to get things into Evernote on the iPad.
  3. bobmielke

bobmielke iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the reply
  4. betctru

betctru iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you create a bookmark in Safari for iPad, from any page, doesn't matter, then edit the bookmark (click on the bookmark button, navigate to the list with your new bookmark on it and then click "Edit"), you can add the functionality. It's very slow, at least on my iPad, but it works, at least for me.

Edit the title of the bookmark to say Evernote Web Clipper or whatever you want, then clear the address field and paste the following in to the address field:

Code:
    javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try{var x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

When using the bookmark on the webpage you want to copy, when the Evernote screen appears, click on "Clip Full Page" to clip the entire page, just as in the other versions. Just as in my Opera version, not all pages translate completely, FWIW.

Betsy
    (if I don't use the "code" setting, a smiley face appears within the code. It's a very long line of code.)
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    Nice! Thank you very much for this tip, betctru.

It is slow, but far better than nothing.

Extra things I noticed while setting up and experimenting:

Don't fortet to check the remember me box, or you'll have to log in every time. That seems to slow things down even further.

If you are using mobile Safari to copy the code from the forum, it will add 'Code:%20' onto the front of the script. This must be removed for it to work. I edited it in the bookmark, which was a pain. It would probably be easier to paste it to Notes, edit it there, and copy again before going back to Safari to edit the bookmark.

Besides copying the full page or just the URL, you can select content and make a note of only that. Getting images is a bit tricky though. You can't just select them in Safari. Instead you need to select nearby text, like the caption, and then drag the handles to include the images.
  6. bachma0507

bachma0507 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been trying to do this for a couple of days now based on javascript code I found in a blog. Didn't work. This one works great though. Thanks!
  7. betctru

betctru iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad it's helpful for folks. I took the code from one of Evernote's other tools (I think the menu button for Opera or Firefox) and used it for the bookmarklet. Thanks, Twerppoet, for the additional tips.
  8. Oddfoot58

Oddfoot58 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try the memclip app which seems to do the trick
  9. GaryOfPgh

GaryOfPgh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another way to do this for those of us who are frightened of " code" is to email a web page you want to keep to your Evernote email address. There is a video that shows you how at wn.com, just Google Web Clippings With Evernote.
  10. Binty

Binty iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for that, it may be slow but I am grateful that it works !
  11. Zch987

Zch987 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found a good web clipper for iPad. Go to http slash slash colon lorenzocaum.com slash blog slash how-to-install-evernote-web-clipper-on-the-iphone-and-the-slash. (the reason the URL is in plain words is because a new member of this forum cannot invclude links or images until hr has posted at least 3entries!)

It worked for me and relatively fast.