What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make a web clip for Evernote

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keith66 said:
I use Evernote app quite a lot.
Is there any way I can make and save a web clip in Evernote on my IPad?

I am fairly certain that clips can only be done of your PC or Mac and then will sync to your iPad.
On your app, press more in the top index then places and you will be presented with a map with a red pin, press this and you can go to a tutorial page. Have a look here and it will explain everything. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course you can! I wouldn't be an Evernote fiend if I couldn't. You can really harness the power of your iPad browsers by doing a little Google searching for iPad and bookmarklets which are JavaScript bookmarks that increase the functions you can call on. Here's how to add an Evernote bookmarklet.

1. Open your browser to any page and save it as a bookmark.
2. After you've created the bookmark, go back into bookmarks and choose edit.
3. Change the name of the bookmark you just made to Evernote.
4. Clear out the URL underneath the name and paste the following big batch of text into the URL box:

javascript: (function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%7Dcatch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

5. Make sure it's all there from JavaScript to ; without spaces. I had to add a space after "javascript:" because the forum converts it to a smiley!
6. Either select text and then hit your new bookmark (or don't select to clip the whole page) and a box will open near the top of the page. The first time it will ask for your login credentials, after that you will see a clippings page with area for your title, tags, etc. Sometimes it takes a few seconds so be patient especially for large selections.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I am jumping in just for curiosity. What is the purpose for this? Just put Evernote on my device and still understanding all of its use.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks,:eek:
I will have a go and let you know how I get on?
It would be so handy to do the web clips straight from the iPad rather than have to create them on the PC.
I haven't had the IPad very long but I find it so versatile that it is making many aspects of my PC redundant.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
guthrien said:
Of course you can! I wouldn't be an Evernote fiend if I couldn't. You can really harness the power of your iPad browsers by doing a little Google searching for iPad and bookmarklets which are JavaScript bookmarks that increase the functions you can call on. Here's how to add an Evernote bookmarklet.

1. Open your browser to any page and save it as a bookmark.
2. After you've created the bookmark, go back into bookmarks and choose edit.
3. Change the name of the bookmark you just made to Evernote.
4. Clear out the URL underneath the name and paste the following big batch of text into the URL box:

javascript: (function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%7Dcatch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

5. Make sure it's all there from JavaScript to ; without spaces. I had to add a space after "javascript:" because the forum converts it to a smiley!
6. Either select text and then hit your new bookmark (or don't select to clip the whole page) and a box will open near the top of the page. The first time it will ask for your login credentials, after that you will see a clippings page with area for your title, tags, etc. Sometimes it takes a few seconds so be patient especially for large selections.

Thanks for that Guthrien, I couldn't find any reference to web clipping on the ipad in Evernote, I use the copy and paste method, although sometimes it doesn't work from Safari. I'm going to try this also.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Ok, I am jumping in just for curiosity. What is the purpose for this? Just put Evernote on my device and still understanding all of its use.

I am too although I've been using it for a while. Its a great note taking app and you can have it on your PC also. Web clipping lets you copy webpages from just a few lines to whole pages and URL's too and it goes straight to Evernote. Very handy app.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well you can use Evernote as an excellent normal notebook for all your writings and documents but it's a very diverse and powerful program. You can use it as your "everything" box where you keep anything you like or need from the Internet. It syncs across all the platforms you use, mobile or desktop. Where the clipping comes in is that it allows you to collect from your iPad as on any other device.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the coolest things I like about Evernote is that you get your Evernote e-mail address. So, you can send pretty much anything to Evernote. I've got the address as a contact on my iPad (and my iPhone). Whenever I see something I want to see on a different iDevice, or work with on my desktop, I just mail it to my Evernote box. Since I have the new mail default to the Inbox in Evernote, I never lose them and can get to stuff on my leisure. You could also give out the e-mail for others to send you stuff.

Once I discovered Evernote, I wonder why it took me so long to get to using it... :D. Very handy cross-platform service!

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you guthrien and marilyn for the info regarding Evernote. I have both Evernote and Goodreader--and have wondered what the similarities/differences were. I use Goodreader to annotate PDFs which is very helpful, but have not played around with Evernote to see if it does the same. I will give your recommendations a try! Thanks again!

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is my other favorite iOS app :) its sort of my file manager and best PDF reader ever.

The Evernote email address lets you dictate notes and messages with Siri! Pretty cool.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guthrien,
I tried the method which you suggested and it worked fine and I got the clip to Evernote box but after a few successful clips it started saying loading clip but stopped at that.
I have uninstalled the bookmark and repeated the procedure but can't get it to bring up an Evernote box and I can't gure out what I am doing wrong.
On a general note I have only just started using Evernote and have installed it on my PC and find it very useful and versatile.
just wish I could figure out what is going wrong with my attempts to web clip on the IPad .

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, I used to have bouts of the same with very long clips but it seemed to me lately that it was no longer an issue after some updates. I don't think the iPad had tons of memory to render a page and clipping box but that was also better on the iPad 2.

Could you perhaps try it on another browser and see what happens? Maybe that will give more clues.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keith66 said:
I use Evernote app quite a lot.
Is there any way I can make and save a web clip in Evernote on my IPad?

There is a way via email.

In Evernote get the settings, Evernote email address and add to contacts.

In Safari highlight the text you want in Evernote, copy it and use the arrow at the top of the screen to send a link to an email address. Select the Evernote email address from the contacts and replace the body of the email by pasting in your text.

Open Evernote and it should be there.

A bit long winded, but it does wok.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem with not using the clipper is that you don't get the rich web page, you get only the text. I like my clippings to contain all the source material.

Keith66, with the previous problem, we're you returning to the top of the page? The box appears at the top.

Most reactions

Latest posts