Emails lost from inbox

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by dnpsmith00, Jul 21, 2015.

1. dnpsmith00

dnpsmith00
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    ipad2 - when I try to retrieve an email to read they all disappear from the inbox. I tried looking in trash or junk folders, not there. Is there some setting I can checkout to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please help!!!!
    Thanks

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually deleting an email account that gives problems, and adding it again solves such problems.

If the account with the disappearing emails is set up as POP 3 account, use this site to make sure everything is set up correctly:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201855

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    That's an awesome link, Johanna. It's going to save me a lot of typing in the future. More importantly, iOS Mail's handling of POP3 is far more nuanced and configurable than I thought it was. I didn't realize the Remove setting affected the server, and not just the local folder.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm still going to try and talk people into using IMAP or Exchange accounts instead. :)

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind that in the case of IMAP or Exchange accounts that if you've moved, deleted, or otherwise dealt with an email on another device then the iPad may show that email briefly on opening, then remove it as it syncs with the server.

Also any kind of automatic filters or actions another computer that are set up may take place after the iPad receives the email, in which case the same thing will happen. It will disappear shortly after opening the Mail app.