What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing graphics

Sudre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Tablet soon to use at work. Currently I am using a 2003 Toshiba Pocket PC to keep track of clients, tasks and notes along with holding blue prints digitally that I can edit in the field. I convert the DWGs to jpegs and use a simple program to edit the jpegs.

I'd love to do this with an Ipad but I want to make sure it can handle the images.
Some of the jpegs I have are 5000x3000 pixels... files size is typically small, around 3M or so. They don't have to be jpegs but they do need to be usable on a PC.

SO basically I need to be able to open a jpeg in a simple (complex would work to) drawing program, scribble some notes or changes on it then resave it to a jpeg format. If they had Photoshop on the Ipad I'd love it but I think it would overwhelm my work associate that will also be using it.

Many times I receive the prints in e-mails and the blue print is a PDF. I am assuming that the Ipad can read a PDF. Can it edit them?

The only reason I am concerned at all is because I was reading a review somewhere that said the Ipad can't save images over certain sizes. I find myself never knowing who to trust since some ppl dist products just because they don't like apple.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I'm a professional Cg artist by trade and would advise to use your iPad sparingly for work 'in anger'

It's great for viewing imagery and DWG files (even basic editing if the drawing isn't huge) but don't expect to delve too reply into graphics editing, even on a simpler scale. Even when pros op is released for iPad.
This is what the pc is for. The pc struggles enough at the best of times, so don't expect the iPad to sail through it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
I'm a professional Cg artist by trade and would advise to use your iPad sparingly for work 'in anger'

It's great for viewing imagery and DWG files (even basic editing if the drawing isn't huge) but don't expect to delve too reply into graphics editing, even on a simpler scale. Even when pros op is released for iPad.
This is what the pc is for. The pc struggles enough at the best of times, so don't expect the iPad to sail through it.

But isn't the OP just asking if they can scribble odd notes or draw a few lines on either a jpeg or PDF, I've seen a number of apps which provide this simple task......I would say the iPad is perfect for what they are describing.

The only thing I'm less sure about is the OP's question about maximum file size, I wasn't aware of the limit stated although I'm certain someone else here will know for sure.

The Archangel

OP
S

Sudre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news so far then.

I'm not doing any crazy editing. The full extent I will need is...
select pencil tool.
select point size.
select color.
draw in light switch symbol (or any other possible symbol)
save file
e-mail/send to engineering at the office.

my biggest concern is what the largest file size is it can handle. The review I read mentioned it should be fixed by Ios4 so I am assuming the problem the reviewer had has been dealt with. Plus it could have been a limitation of the app the guy was using and not the Ipad itself.

Most reactions

Latest posts