What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emailed Jpeg not visible?

qwerty1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this forum but so far looks great!

My ipad seems to have started a new problem. If sending an email from a pc to myself (IE i was being lazy and have some jpegs on my pc that i wanted on my ipad) - When I get the email and read it the icon is there to download the attachment (which is a 1m jpeg - PDF's seem to work fine). Hit download and then I am left with a little blue square with a ? in the middle of it. I can tap it and select to save it which it does, however it just saves a blue square with the ? in it. Now it never used to do this and I am unaware of any thing that I may have changed that would cause this.
Any one else had this problem? What can I do to fix it?
Thank you for your time in reading this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It means the iPad does not recognize the file type, or in the case of pictures it may mean the file is corrupted (since Mail usually displays this inline).

Make sure the picture has the right extension. (.jpg) and try sending it again.

That is all I can suggest.

Though there was one other person who was having problems with IE compatibility and pictures, but it was going the other way; to the computer.

OP
Q

qwerty1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes that's what i thought but can't work out why this would start happening. The same thing has started to happen with my iPhone as well.
Both are jailbroken but that shouldn't affect it in any way should it? Very frustrating and have no idea how to fix it. I know all the files are definatly saved as .jpeg so im not sure what else can do now?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any tweaks installed that interact with the Photos app? Better yet, think back to when you first noticed this behavior of not getting JPEGs correctly. What tweak(s) did you install just before that? Whichever one it is (or are), try uninstalling them from Cydia and see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes tweaks just aren't designed to run on the iPad or your version of iOS (or both) and you don't notice it until something like this comes up.

If you can't tell what it might be, and if you wish, give us a list of your installed tweaks. Maybe we can take a look at it and be able to find the misbehaving one. At the least, we can tell you whether the tweaks are working fine on our iPads...

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to re-send the mail and wait for it to load. Or the server does not transmit the data correctly if connection is slow therefore will make the picture with question mark. And the format as well. And like TwerpPoet said. Change the file extension and then send. If mail app does not open properly try the safari browser version and save from there.

Most reactions

Latest posts