What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest way to update ipad 2 to ipad 3?

sdickson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm not really an "i" person (apologies), I come from a Windows background.

My Managing Director, however, has just purchased a new iPad 3 and wants me to set it up. He's been using a 2 for a while now and has it all setup and running beautifiully through his laptop.

What I want to know, is there a simple upgrade process? Can I plug the new one in and just say "Make this the new one" and have all of his purchases, settings, etc move from the old one onto the new one?

If so, how do I do it? If not, what 's the best way to upgrade, from your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you plug the new iPad in to his laptop, it should connect to iTunes, sign in with his Apple ID and you should be 'cooking with gas' as far as syncing apps/music etc.

Individual settings will have to be done from the Settings on the iPad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm not really an "i" person (apologies), I come from a Windows background.

My Managing Director, however, has just purchased a new iPad 3 and wants me to set it up. He's been using a 2 for a while now and has it all setup and running beautifiully through his laptop.

What I want to know, is there a simple upgrade process? Can I plug the new one in and just say "Make this the new one" and have all of his purchases, settings, etc move from the old one onto the new one?

If so, how do I do it? If not, what 's the best way to upgrade, from your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Take the "old" iPad, the iPad2. Make a backup of it using iTunes (the same iTunes the iPad2 has been synced with previously). Then, plug the iPad3 in and select to "restore from backup" using the backup you just made from the iPad2. Even if you've already set the iPad3 up, running the restore from backup will set that new iPad up and when you are done, it will be a mirror image of the iPad2.

That's how I made the switch from my iPad1 to my iPad3 and, while it was a few months ago, my memory tells me that this was a simple and painless process.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts