DVD to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by joe.niles, Apr 5, 2010.

1. joe.niles

joe.niles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What the best way to get my DVD to my iPad? I get the digital copy now with most of my Blueray. But I have a lot of old DVD I need to load..:ipad-peacock:
  2. brobar

brobar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  3. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Video via slingbox? It would be possible to watch tv that way too.
  4. iVegas702

iVegas702 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thelittleappfactory.com a program called ripit
  5. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The best method I have found for converting DVDs to an iPad friendly format requires 2 programs. First is a ripper. This program will copy the DVD to your hard drive and remove the copy protection. The second program is a video encoder/converter. Here are the ones I am familiar with. They are all free.

Mac Ripping Program: Mac the Ripper
    Windows Ripping Program: DVD Decrypter
    (may be better ones. I haven't used it in years)
    Video encoder: Handbrake

Handbrake has a preset for AppleTV. This is the one I use to encode for my iPad.

BTW, if you want to convert a Blueray, you can use MakeMKV to rip to an MKV file. Handbrake can then convert to an iPad friendly format.
  6. JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88 / 0
    Great post wot_fan, thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ghuda

Ghuda iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am going to try some different settings on handbrake and see if I can improve the quality. I did them some time ago and for the smaller screens on my iPods they were great, but to see the HB movies next to my digital copies on the larger screen sort of takes the fun out of it.

I never really minded the quality issues on my PowerBook, but the iPad is only at arms length so it's much more noticeable.
  8. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Ghuda

Ghuda iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks but I actually like hand break, I just need to get more knowledgeable about using it.

If you have any suggestions ipadone I am all ears.

I had a guy telling me that if I double break it, it will come out better...... I just sort of nodded my head and said uh-huh, because I was clueless and had one of those old guy moments.
  10. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ghuda, honestly speaking i found many paid software for convert video … but the best still remain handbrake … and it’s not the question to paid for app’s is just the more simple and easy to use all necessary function
  11. Dorisking3

Dorisking3 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The key for this question~

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCINO48CiU]YouTube - DVD to iPad-How to Convert DVD to iPad and Watch Movie on iPad.mp4[/ame]
    I got the Wondershare DVD to iPad Converter, and made a video on Youtube to show how to convert dvd to iPad by using that software.

BTW, for iPad, I found the HD format (1280*720) is more suitable for its 9.7 inch LCD touch-screen. :p Cool~~~~
  12. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Why when i see your nick name, i be sure you will promote some crapy stuff ?? , i believe you are pure Chinese trying to got 2 RMB from everywhere you can
  13. Crimguy

Crimguy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Handbrake is available on Windows as well. The most recent version is almost as good as the Mac version. Fully serviceable though.
  14. Lwood

Lwood iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Several of the programs listed (handbrake) and others (AnyDVD and DVDClone Mobile) will work - but you have to adjust the settings. AnyDVD will decrypt it - then you need to run DVDClone Mobile to get it to the format - and you have to edit the .ini file to include the new resolutions.

OR - Daniusoft has a DVD Ripper program that does everything and has formats for the iPad and every other device. Actually, it has three different resolution formats for the iPad.

DVD Ripper - Best DVD ripper software, DVD ripping software, Convert DVD to AVI/MPEG/XVID...

It also looks like a modern program = graphically pleasing to the eyes.

One note - it takes it a while (hours) to decrypt, decode and create the iPad output.

It might take less if I had used DVD Shrink first and then this program. But, this is a learning process.

Of course Apple's tech support response is that they only support movies purchased from the iTunes store.

Lee
  15. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    There is no reason to pay for software to convert DVDs for your iPad. The articles that are linked in the posts above are just blog shills for the software developer.

I posted this earlier in this thread, but since some may have not have seen it I am quoting it here.

16. Lwood

Lwood iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Free Ripping Software

Originally Posted by wot_fan [​IMG]
    The best method I have found for converting DVDs to an iPad friendly format requires 2 programs. First is a ripper. This program will copy the DVD to your hard drive and remove the copy protection. The second program is a video encoder/converter. Here are the ones I am familiar with. They are all free.
    Mac Ripping Program: Mac the Ripper

Windows Ripping Program: DVD Decrypter (may be better ones. I haven't used it in years)
    Video encoder: Handbrake
    Handbrake has a preset for AppleTV. This is the one I use to encode for my iPad.

BTW, if you want to convert a Blueray, you can use MakeMKV to rip to an MKV file. Handbrake can then convert to an iPad friendly format.

Trust me - I hate paying for software as well - but most of the programs listed, especially Handbrake - don't provide an ease of use for people that are not really technically enabled for the MAC side of things.

I tried handbrake and the output resolution was ridiculously low in the Apple TV setting. That is why I chose a purchased product that had some tech support with it.

Free is not always "free" when it costs a lot of my time and effort and does not produce the results needed.

On the other hand - thank you for providing the information that you did. With more experience, they will come in handy in the future.

Lee
  17. Gern Blanston

Gern Blanston iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Handbrake works very well for me. If you choose "Toggle Presets" from the toolbar so that the preset-drawer opens up and then select Apple > Universal, it works every time.
  18. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have to disagree that handbrake is not easy to use. To convert a video/Dvd to an iPad friendly format requires only three steps.

1. Load the video into handbrake.
    2. Select the AppleTV preset.
    3. Click Start.

I am not sure how much easier it could be.

As far as the output resolution, using the AppleTV preset only changes the resolution of the video if the video's resolution is greater than 720p (since the AppleTv and iPad don't support higher resolutions). I used handbrake to encode my entire DVD collection (over 300 movies) and I have yet to be dissatisfied with the results. What exactly didn't you like about handbrake's output?
  19. Gern Blanston

Gern Blanston iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Indeed. Use the Apple > Universal preset instead. It's much, much better and will look as good as you're hoping for. It's too bad that the guys who wrote Visual Hub called it quits. That was a very elegant application and I used it all the time to convert videos for my iPhone.
  20. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been having the worst time with avatar DVD. I'm ripping it with DVD decrypter and trying to convert it with handbrake. I clicked on it after it finished converting with the appletv preset and it wouldn't play on the laptop. Some error message came up. I'm close to giving up.