DVD to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by joe.niles, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Lwood

Lwood
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    How Do You Get the Graphic for the DVD to move across?

I used ANYDVD to decrypt - DVDShrink to reduce it down to a decent size and then DVD Ripper to move it over to iPad HD Video (*.MP4). The file converted great and was moved over to the iPad where it has great visual resolution.

One issue - it shows up under Videos - as a black square with the title under it. No graphic to show what it is (Avatar). Other digital movies provided with DVDs (like the Dark Knight) show up as a visual graphic that appears on the DVD Case.

How do you get the same effect on the iPad?

Thanks

Lee

2. panlamin

panlamin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    In iTunes right click on the movie and select "Get Info". Then select the artwork tab, then add the picture you would like to show up as the cover art.

Steve

3. fritz68

fritz68
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i tried using handbrake last night. it did the 1st chapter and then stopped. it didn't do the rest of the movie. before i hit start it said chapters 1 thru 21. why did it only do the 1.

4. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I finally ripped and loaded The Matrix. DVD decrypter to rip and handbrake to convert to the universal preset. Looks and sounds good but I did notice it doesn't fill much of the screen vertically. Is that because of the aspect ratio? I've given up on avatar though. I think it has extra encryption that decrypter can't handle.

5. wot_fan

wot_fan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the aspect ratio will determine how big the black bars on the bottom and top of widescreen movies are. The aspect ratio for movies varies a lot so some movies will have small black bars and other will have huge bars.

If you want the video to fill the screen, just press the button highlighted in the pic below (red circle in upper right of image).

[​IMG]

After pressing the button:
    [​IMG]

6. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks wot fan. It looks just like the first picture so I guess I did it right. I actually converted it a second time in the appletv preset to compare it to the universal preset I did first. They actually look identical so do you know what the difference is?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I decided that ease of use was more important to me than free, so I paid for two programs.

The first was RipIt; that gets the stuff off of the DVD and into a file.

For single files, I prefer to use the free MPEG Streamclip for conversion to mp4. Lots of control, and one particular option a person might want to use is "deinterlace video".

For files I've downloaded where I want to batch convert a bunch of them, I use iSkysoft Video Converter. That one is not free but, as I said, it will easily do a batch. I can start them when I go to bed or go to work and they'll be done when I get home.

Another file converter I was pretty impressed with is Air Video. If you ask it to convert, it will start ffmpeg in the background and you can fire up a bunch of them if you like.

I've used Handbrake in the past and have had issues with it, which is why I bought RipIt.

So, some alternatives if you don't mind spending a little money.

Tom

8. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yea but I'm starting to experience more and more problems with Handbrake. Some movies are showing up with 99 chapters / choices - and none of them work for the conversion. Or Handbrake can't get through all of the choices without hanging. I'm thinking there's an issue with a new encryption.

9. Lwood

Lwood
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Got the Decryption and encoding - what about shrinking?

It appears that AnyDVD will decode the DVD; and Handbrake will encode it for iPad - what about shrinking? I am trying to find an all-Apple/Mac solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lee

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The aforementioned MPEG Streamclip will do that. You may need to do a little research into what the parameters mean.

Tom