Dropbox for Ipad help please

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by PCUK, Oct 1, 2010.

1. PCUK

PCUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been extolling the virtues of Dropbox for sending pics to colleagues who don't have Ftp.
    Now I can't find a way to move Pages documents on the Ipad to the Dropbox for syncing with my desktop and phone and other users. As there is no directory facility for drag and drop, is there another way of doing it?
    The Dropbox help is unclear on this.
    Thanks,
    Peter
  2. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    From what I've seen, there's no way to share or upload anything that isn't a picture or video. The Dropbox app ignores all other file types.
  3. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, no way to do it yet. But you can email to dropbox. Dropbox does not do this itself, but several services do it. The one I use is Habilis - the email-to-Dropbox gateway

A few others do too.
  4. PCUK

PCUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Seems to be a big omission from the Dropbox team then.
    Cheers,
    Peter
  5. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks for share the tip’s , but send my file to a email of a company is not so safe at all :( even i need this function i will not use habilis
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Why? Enlighten me! I want to know what you know.
  7. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I think what he is getting at has to do with the fact that in order to put "stuff" into your DropBox, Habilis needs to have your logon AND PASSWORD! It is probably OK (I hope!) to trust Habilis, but if their files are ever compromised, this means your DropBox account could also be compromised.

This isn't exactly like leaving your front door open, but you are leaving the key in the lock and inviting others to use it!
  8. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok la … i navigate around and inside the IT field from 1996 and the first computer i buy is in 1988 (Apple LCII), so i can say i have some knowledge … if you use Habilis you have to send your file in their server, so that mean they can keep it and analyze it … as the service is free (until now), but the bandwidth is not they need to get revenue in somewhere so we can simply imagine they will resell the information they collect to some specialized ad Agency …. maybe you can say i am paranoid … but i have see so many case than you can’t imagine …

so i prefer to don’t have yet this option than take the risk … after that is up to everybody to decide what they want to use or not …
  9. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think it's worth remembering that Dropbox is a multi-format service and it is more focused on allowing you to share files when away from your main computer. The issue as it stands is more of a problem with Pages not allowing you to save the file to dropbox rather than with dropbox itself. Documentstogo, for example, allows you to save to dropbox.

Will pages let you save to MobileMe? If so, I think you can set dropbox to access that ability if you have it. Not ideal, but I guess Apple doesn't want to encourage a free service that's in direct competition with their paid service.

Ref: security concerns, if a document is too sensitive to email to a third party to put into dropbox, then I would consider it too sensitive to put into dropbox at all. While I love dropbox, I would advise people NEVER to put anything into cloud storage that they would not want anyone else seeing. It's secure, but not that secure.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  10. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have the rumor (witch i believe) saying mobile me will return as free as that be at the origin, and i also think soon we will have this function in Dropbox as their business have explode when they devellop the iphone app’s (i have start to use DB before that)

Dropbox is not ONLY free service, Habilis is 100% free service. of course cloud is risky is why we need to be careful to where we send our file …

PS: this purely my opinion and i repeat everybody do what he want with his file and information la
  11. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    And as my grandfather once told me, "If you fall off that rock and break your leg, don't come running to me!"
  12. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Your GranPa is (or be) a clever guy , and you too if you listen him