What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

downloads to ipad

ddoreau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i try to download sophos or iantivirus, i get an error message "safari cannot download this file". i got the same message trying to download mozilla firefox. whats up with this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's because you are trying to download software to the iPad - which is impossible.

The only way to put software on the iPad is via the App Store (the software is called applications - aka "apps"). Or, if you are jailbroken, you can load software via Cydia or via SSH.

It's just the nature of the beast - no "in the wild" software for a stock iPad.

Marilyn

OP
D

ddoreau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you dont mind explaining, why is it impossible? the OS doesnt have algorithms that work with nonApple software?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum - :)

Second, YES you hit the 'nail on the head'!

Apple's mobile iOS which is on the iPad does not really communicate w/ Windows, e.g. there is no 'Windows Explorer' option to view the files/folders on the iPad (now my iPad2 is not 'jailbroken' so cannot comment on those options).

So, if you're a Windows user (like me), don't expect to just migrate your MS programs to the iPad - now there are other substitutes and many plentiful options.

Bottom line is let us know what you want to do on the iPad, then suggestions can be made - :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Giradman has so clearly explained the software for the iPad and PC are entirely different. PC software won't run on a Mac and Mac software won't run on an iPad.

It's like trying to put diesel fuel into a gas-powered automobile - the two simply weren't made to work together. The iPad uses a completely different computer chip (an ARM chip) to the PC (Intel Pentium) so the two simply cannot work together.

So, only programs (apps) from the Apple iTunes Store will work on the iPad.

Tim

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
PC software won't run on a Mac and Mac software won't run on an iPad.

Tim

Mwoaw....It can be done. Both ways, but it is not as good as running the software on the hardware it was intended for.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
am i right in saying that you don't need an antivirus on iPad anyway?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
You dont need antivirus software anyways.... and anything you want to install has to come from the AppStore.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

Most reactions

Latest posts