What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading App via itunes messed up order of apps and folders

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has this one particular app (a bird book) that she has to download via iTunes (too large for wireless update)

When she did that this morning it completely wiped out her folders and the order of her apps on her iPad 1.

She is now spending this otherwise fine Saturday morning fixing up her iPad.

Any idea why that happened and any easy fix?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has this one particular app (a bird book) that she has to download via iTunes (too large for wireless update)

When she did that this morning it completely wiped out her folders and the order of her apps on her iPad 1.

She is now spending this otherwise fine Saturday morning fixing up her iPad.

Any idea why that happened and any easy fix?

I wonder why you say it's too large for a wireless update? Apple limits 3G updates and downloads to 20 MB but there's no such limit on WiFi. I've downloaded updates of over 1GB via WiFi without any problems at all.

The re-ordering of the apps after this type of operation seems to affect several Members and there are a number of threads in the Forum that relate to this issue but there doesn't seem to be too much of a 'universal' cure.

Tim

OP
Tom March

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I meant not using the computer hooked up to iTunes.

The iPad is the wi-fi version.

It's my wife's iPad. She also has an iPhone (ATT 3G) and I don't know where she got the message. She's in such a snit about it right now that I am not asking.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I meant not using the computer hooked up to iTunes.

The iPad is the wi-fi version.

It's my wife's iPad. She also has an iPhone (ATT 3G) and I don't know where she got the message. She's in such a snit about it right now that I am not asking.

My solution is a bunch of flowers (corny, yeh, I know)....

Tim

OP
Tom March

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if she wants to give me some flowers Thayer would be fine.

.... I told her about my previous post and she laughed ... All is fine now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a problem that a crops up. Like many iTunes problems it's that inbetween land that most often causes problems. People that sync often have few problems. People who never sync avoid iTunes problems (at the expense of learning how to work around it). People who almost never sync, then try to do something new get more problems.

It is as if whenever iTunes is given too much to do, like upload some apps while downloading other and trying to sync folders, it gets confused and drops the ball on one or more tasks.

It is too late now that you've been rearainging the folders, but if it happens again try to restore from a backup immediately. That might work.

Maintain app organization when restoring iOS devices | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld

Most reactions

Latest posts